Diets that have worked for you

Discussion in 'Community' started by joetronic, Mar 15, 2005.

1. joetronic macrumors 6502

What are some diets that you have used that have worked. I'm lookign to loose 25 pounds. I don't want to do one of those carb diets like atkins or south beach. I do work out on a regular basis (4 times a week) and run two miles every day, but I can't seem to loose these last 25lbs. I am currently 185, so I'm trying to get to 160. I don't need them to be gone in flash, but don't want to take years either. a few months is a good goal. Thanks for your suggestions.

I also must add I am a vegan. :p

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Don't eat after 6pm -- go to bed slightly hungry. Works every time for me...

3. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Exercise 5 days a week (45 mins of sweat minimum). Drink lots of water. Sleep 7-8 hours a day. And do some weights to gain extra muscle.

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Monitor all calorie intake - everything.

Eat more than three meals a day (smaller ones, obviously, but more frequent).

Every time you're tempted to post here, run a mile first.

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

One thing: is 160 a reasonable weight for your height/body, or are you trying to lose too much? Also, I'd focus on something like body fat readings or the measurement around your waist (or, rather, the "largest" area, often a few inches above your waist) instead of weight. Muscle is denser than fat, so weight alone can be misleading.

6. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Sounds like you're eating fairly well and working out. Bear in mind that if you've been doing that for a while, you may be at your proper weight. Muscle weighs more than fat so you may not need to lose it.

Otherwise, try some interval training during your workouts. Bump up the intensity on the treadmill or cross trainer to a slightly insane level for 2 minutes and then go back down again for 3-4 minutes. Makes your body work a little harder and the muscles burn a little more energy.

7. joetronic thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the fast input. If I ran a mile before every post, I wouldn’t have much tim eto post.

I try to eat 4 or 5 small meals a day and always eat breakfast.

I already don’t at after 8, I will try 7. I don’t get home form work till 5:30, so 6 can’t be done.

Already do get that much sleep. I will start to work out more, but will leave the weekends off. Your body needs time to recover. And I do a lot of physical labor on the weekends anyway.

Thanks guys for the great input. I also think I will be upping my mile to three every morn.

8. emw macrumors G4

emw

Jenny Craig. I hate to admit it, but I went on this with my wife when she wanted to lose some of the post-baby weight. I lost about 13 pounds in a little over 6 weeks.

Why it worked:

- You get to eat every food category; it doesn't cut out carbs, etc.
    - They give you the food (well, sell it to you), so little thought is required
    - They make you weigh in once a week, so you track your progress

I'd recommend it to anybody.

9. joetronic thread starter macrumors 6502

Its my belly and love handles I am trying to loose. I'm 6' even so I think 160 should be okay. What do you guys think. I wil l try to post pics of myself later tonigth so you can get a idea of what my body type is.

I will try a workout like that. Sounds like it should work. by the way. I have been trying to loose these pounds for a while. I was a 205, now at 185. Its been 7 months.

10. SFVCyclone macrumors 6502a

gain some more muscle, the more muscle you have the more calories you burn even when you are just sitting around. So in addition to the cardio you do, lift weights, in this manner perhaps,

day 1: chest
    day 2: back
    day 3: rest aka no lifting but some cardio
    day 4: arms
    day 5: shoulders
    day 6: legs
    day 7: rest all day

that was the routine i used to gain muscle. so maybe you can incorporate som of it into your routine.

11. Awimoway macrumors 65816

My wife told me a funny story yesterday about when her sister went through an anorexic phase in high school. After going for months eating so much as a carrot stick a day, a socially maladjusted friend pointed out to her how big her butt was. The sister decided that if a carrot stick a day couldn't make her butt any thinner, then there was no point in continuing to starve herself (so she snapped out of the anorexia). Her mother and most of her sisters are curvier. Not a super-thin boney one among them. The sister finally admitted to herself that her body could only be pushed so far.

My point is that if you're eating vegan and running two miles a day and you still can't lose that desired 25 pounds, maybe it's just not in your genetics to do so. Body mass indices are notoriously inaccurate (there's about five different ways to calculate it, and the results will vary by as much as thirty pounds), so it's best to understand them in terms of a range of ideal weight. Some people just have thicker builds than others of the same height. 185 is a very reasonable weight for some heights.

However, if you're convinced that you could still lose 25 more pounds, my recommendation would be to start paying close attention to the glycemic index of the foods you eat and stick to the low end of the glycemic index -- beans are the best for this. Stay away from sugar (but most fruits are okay of course because they often have surprisingly low glycemic indices, although less ripe fruits have less sugar than overripe). Look for foods high in dietary fiber. They will fill you up, have fewer calories but more bulk, and will take longer to digest so you'll go longer between meals. You will also experience fewer sugar crashes and therefore fewer cravings.

Also, there was a news release yesterday that said that, ideally, people should exercise as much as 60-90 minutes a day. The report went on to say that they ("they" being whichever U.S. government agency released the report, but I forget exactly what agency it was) realize few people will seriously be able to exercise 60-90 minutes a day, and so the official recommendation remains 30. But 60-90 is ideal, particularly for weight loss or people with metabolisms that tend towards overweightness. So if you can put in that kind of time -- especially since it makes no difference if you break up exercise periods throughout the day or do it all at once -- more power to you.

12. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Actually, 185 for someone 6' tall is not entirely unreasonable. I'm a 6' tall male myself, though, and I confess I'd rather be 160. But you may just have a naturally heavier build.

However, I assume you know that people will plateau during weight loss. There will be periods -- sometimes months long -- where you will be doing everything right and your body will cling tenaciously to some of that unneeded fat. You just have to keep doing everything that worked before and be patient. Eventually, the theory goes, you'll start to lose weight again, though it may not ever happen as quickly as it did in the past.

13. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

I've been losing about 5 pounds a year for the past 5 years and I'm down to 195. It seems impossible for me to lose weight from Nov to Apr because it's cold and I can't get outside.

Things that have worked for me include:

1. Raisin Nut Bran every morning (Not a huge bowl)
    2. No pop or beer
    3. No candy (well, ok, I still eat candy, but a lot less)
    4. Eat several apples a week (I think it's the fiber)
    5. Don't eat meals till "full". Stop before you're full.
    6. Resturant portions are HUGE.

It is a total lifestyle change. You're not going to lose that weight eating at lunch McDonald's or Burger King three times a week. The problem I have winter time I can't stand feeling hungry, but in the summer, when I'm busy, it doesn't bother me.

Good luck

14. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

Well what works for me may not work for you. I eat alot of milano cookies (the double chocholate) The entenmann's little bites brownies and choc. chip muffins. And alots of choc. cake and choc chip cookis :D
    I called this the choccolate lover diet :p

15. joetronic thread starter macrumors 6502

Thats funny, lol. Actually, I don't eat chocholate. I don't really eat sweets that much, and the soda I drink (in the rare case I do) its diet.

Now beer on the other hand...... j/k. I only have maybe two a week at the most.

16. craigdawg macrumors 6502

It sounds like you're doing everything right to me as far as diet and exercise.

Do you work out with a heart rate monitor? This can be somewhat complicated. Essentially you figure out what your theoretical maximum heart rate is based on your age. A simple formula is 220 - your age.

There are two exercise "zones"--weight loss and aerobic based on a percentage of the maximum. The weight loss zone is about 60 - 65% of your maximum heart rate (for me about 120 bpm). In this zone you burn a higher percentage of calories from fat.

In the aerobic zone, 80 - 85% of your max, you burn a higher number of calories overall but a lower percentage of fat calories.

That's the theory at least. However, this concept of a "weight loss" zone has been debated by doctors.

Anyway a heart rate monitor consists of a transmitter you strap around your chest that picks up the electrical impulses of your beating heart and a receiver with an LCD that you can wear like a watch or affix to a bike. I use one when I cycle and run on the treadmill. The treadmill in my gym even has a monitor built in.

Sounds like you're well on the way to achieving your goal though so keep at it and good luck.

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Don't eat before 6pm.

18. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I find that if I eat my meals slowly, I'll feel full faster. I tend to wolf down my food, so it takes discipline to eat slowly and smaller portions more often throughout the day to reduce the hunger pangs. The worst you could do is eat a large meal in the evening, then relax and go to sleep.

19. panphage macrumors 6502

160 is probably a tiny bit low for a 6" male with any healthy muscle mass. I'd recommend a body fat percentage target instead. But it sounds like you're on the right track and have gotten some good advice already: eat more frequent smaller meals, don't eat less than 3 hours before bed, etc. Drink lots of water. Try eating a little less at each meal. Avoid sugar, it's addictive and makes you tired. Make sure you're doing weight training as well as cardio, it's the only way you'll turn those love handles into lean muscle.

20. Studawg7 macrumors regular

tricks to weight loss: portions and regular exercise

btw, i am 6' and weigh about 185. I am pretty fit and exercise regularly but I know I am usually a little heavier then my friends around the same height. I would say if your 6' 175 is good. of course more weight from muscles is always a good thing :D

21. SFVCyclone macrumors 6502a

the cool thing about working is that once you start seeing some results it becomes addicting, so you actually want to keep on doing it and look forward to the next work out.

22. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I agree.

At one point in my life I was about 250# and in good shape 6% body fat or something like that. Don't worry too much about the weight. Get into a shape where you are comfortable. Where you can do all the exercise you want to (and a bit more for special occasions) without difficulty. If your body moves the way you want it to then you are probably in good shape. Set the requirements at a functional level. 10 chinups, 50 pushups, 50 situps. Whatever.

23. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Last year, I lost 30 pounds in 35 days on a low-intake Atkins diet... my goal was to get down to 170 pounds, and I did. I've managed to keep the weight off through a combination of working out and low-intake (I eat one full-sized meal per day, plus snacks).

Note: I don't recommend this for everyone. Talk to your doctor first.

24. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    As for diets. The food choice that led to my greatest and longest lasting weight loss was 1 piece of slightly undercooked fried chicken...

Didn't eat for a week. Didn't want to eat for almost a month. Didn't regain my full appetite for almost a year.

:D

25. SFVCyclone macrumors 6502a

Thats pretty extreme, how did you handle losing so much in so little time?