Difference between 12" and 15"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by EJBasile, Apr 22, 2004.

1. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

The major differeneces between the 12" and 15" powerbooks are RAM sizes, HD sizes, gigibite ethernet, FW800, and screen size (obviously).

Are there any technical differences between the fallowing computers i.e. ram speed or somethinf(I know the general stuff but I am not really involved with computers)

-1ghz 12" Super and 1ghz 15" Combo (AL)

and

-1.33ghz 12" Super adn 1.33ghz 15" Combo

--------------------------
    and

(other than the processing power)

-1ghz 12" Super and 1.33ghz 12" Super

and

-1ghz 15" Combo and 1.33ghz 15" Combo

Thanks

2. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

Go here Apple.com/hardware

Yes, previously the memory bus speeds were significantly different, now here is the spread.

12in 256 on board at 333
    15, 256 or 512 on board at 333

15 option for lighted keyboard

15 1.33 or 1.55Gz, 12 1.33 only

12 in
    NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 with 64MB of DDR SDRAM

15 in ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 with 64MB of DDR SDRAM (available with 128MB as BTO option on 1.5GHz configurations)

For starters- you can do the rest of the work yourself. Also, you can build a 14" iBook that is pretty close to the 12in. Yesterday, I purchased a 1Gz Refurb for 1299 US. It replaces my revB iTang. For writing and editing DV with FCP it will work just fine, though I would rather have a 17".

What do you plan to do with your computer?

3. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

iTang eh? haven't heard that one yet... :D

4. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

Off toppic- Sorry

revB (Revision B- Clamshell)
    iTang (Tangerine iBook, never used for the Tangerine iMac for some reason)

A small clan of very strange people opted for the tangerinE color, and most were very proud of it, kind of like Scotts wearing their tartins. You are the first to ask about it.

I just did a search, and I think I am the only person that has used iTang in that way.

5. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

I wish they would do something like that again- but with the PBooks... offer them in the dyed metallic iMini colors...

To get back on topic- yes, there are differences in the two... but are they sufficient enough to warrent the price for someone who doesn't have the money? Is it better to buy the 12" now- or wait a few months to afford the 15"? And where would the iBooks rate?

6. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Oh I figured that part out. :D Maybe I should start referring to my parents' iMac by name: Yoda. It's small, green, kinda slow, but it can still kick some ass if it needs to.

7. thirteen1031 macrumors 6502

thirteen1031

Which do you NEED? Which do you WANT?

All depends on what you're going to do with it. Sufficent enough to warrent the price? Meaning buy the 15"? Yes, if you're going to be doing video, photo or graphics intensive work--or something like engineering or architecture. In that case, you probably want that larger screen and more power and all the rest. Makes for better presentations, better work enviornment (larger screen again, more room to manipulate images), etc.

If this is your career, then of course, wait and save up. We're talking about getting the best machine for what you do--and if what you do requires this, then it requires it. It may cost a bit much now, but it will pay for itself in helping ease your labors, make your work better and in increased productivity.

On the other hand...I'm a writer. I've no need at all for a 15". But as I do a lot of walking and traveling I've a BIG need for something light and portable. I carry around a lot of reference material, and I don't, don't, don't need an extra pound. And that 15" is an extra pound over the 12". I carry the 12" in the smallest backpack I've ever had. I barely feel it as I stride around town, take buses, etc. It fits on tray tables when I fly, on coffee tables where I can work or watch a movie. This I like. And I've still got a full keyboard for writing, and a lovely screen sufficent for my needs. Wi-fi, etc, etc. Anything more would be overkill.

So. The question is: What do you *NEED* for what you DO? And even more important, what do you WANT in your heart of hearts? Have you seen the two upclose and personal? Because even if you think you need one, seeing the two is what will really decide you. You may think you want a 15"--but then you'll see that little 12" and fall in love. Or vice versa. You just don't know till you take a good look, play on them, get to know them.

Which ever one you want is worth the money simply because you want it. Even if you have to wait a while to get it, you you should have what you want. Don't settle for less; it just leads to regrets and being dissatisfied with what you have.