Difference between 17inch and 15inch MBP C2D

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Saz, Oct 31, 2006.

1. Saz macrumors newbie

Oct 31, 2006
    Hey guys,
    long time reader, first time poster

i used to own a 17inch PoweBook and the reason i bought it at the time was because there was a dramatic difference between the 17 and 15 inch PB's. I kept borrowing my ex-girlfriends 15inch PB because it was much easier to carry around with me everywhere. I ended up selling my 17inch once the MBP line came out and the intel transition was in full effect (and funny enough i ended up breaking up with the gf around that time as well :D)

But I never bought a MBP... i sort of just kept spending money on other things, and then when i decided i really needed a laptop again (a year later), this whole Core Duo Core2Duo thing was going on and I decided to hold off for just a bit longer. And now it's here and i can't wait to get my hands on it.

I originally wanted a 17inch because of the superdrive. But now highend 15inch and the 17inch MBP range seem very similar and i was wondering if i was missing anything.

I know the obvious difference between the two is the screen size (duh)
    and the hard drive size is also different but i plan on upgrading that anyway.
    and i know that there are 3 usb ports on the 17inch and only 2 on the 15 (which doesn't really bother me).
    Oh and the 8x superdrive on the 17 while only a 6x on the 15.
    and the price difference (of course)

but are there any other differences that i'm missing.
  2. sycho macrumors 6502a

Oct 7, 2006
    I think you hit it all, it's really matter of preference, I personally went with the "huge", according to a friend, 15" 2.33GHz MacBook Pro, which, ironically is only 5cm's wider and 1cm deeper then his 13" lifebook, thinner too.:p The choice is your, choose the one your most comfortable with.:)
  3. shecky Guest

May 24, 2003
    Obviously you're not a golfer.
    you should read my thread on this exact subject.

it basically depends on what you are doing with it and how you use it. if i traveled constantly and always had it with me, i would possibly opt for the 15. due to what i consider to be marginal differences in size, weight, and price, considering the historical advantages in cooling, GPU acceleration, and lack of mooing, etc, and considering its at my studio 75% of the time, i am going for the 17