Difference between Camino and Firefox?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sesshi, Jun 8, 2006.

1. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I'm a bit confused as to what the difference is supposed to be. Am I missing something big?

2. gerbilbox macrumors regular

Both Firefox and Camino utilize the same rendering engine to display webpages. However...

Firefox:

1. Huge number of extensions available to add functionality to the browser. My favorite and useful ones include Flash Blocker, Aardvark, Adblock, and a user agent switcher.

2. It uses the XUL user interface language to create the look and feel of the browser, which helps makes it easier for programmers to create one program that works across several operating systems. It doesn't "feel" quite like a Mac program, but I think it comes pretty close.

3. The official Mac release from the Mozilla Foundation.

Camino

1. Doesn't support Firefox extensions (which requires XUL).

2. The user interface is built from the ground up as a Mac program, so it "feels" much more like a Mac program than Firefox. Since it doesn't use XUL to create the user interface, Camino is Mac only.

3. It's more of a side project within the Mozilla Foundation, so it doesn't get updated as often.

4. Personally, I prefer the bookmark manager in Camino, which is modeled after Safari's.

There are a lot more differences, but those are the major ones that popped out of my head right now.

I do like Camino, it used to be my main browser, but Firefox won me over with extensions and after a lot of issues were fixed in version 1.5.

3. macsrockmysocks macrumors regular

I would like to know this also.

Edit: ^ Already answered it. NVM

4. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

5. Sesshi thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

Thanks. Have both installed, couldn't figure out the difference. Is there any practical point to having Camino installed?

6. billchase2 macrumors 68000

billchase2

i've been wondering the same thing. i love my firefox extensions and don't want to switch to camino for that reason...

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i can't stand FF and prefer Camino over everything else. for me it renders pages faster and it does have built in ad-blocking. so i don't have FF installed. its up to personal preference in the end though really.