Difference Between Core Duo & Core 2 Duo MacBooks (Middle Model (White))

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iWinnipegger, Dec 22, 2006.

1. iWinnipegger macrumors regular

The refurb prices are looking really nice, i'm thinking of getting the Core Duo MacBook (Middle Model) rather than the new Core 2 Duo MacBook (Middle Model). The price difference is awesome but what am i losing getting the older model,

can u guys tell me the differences between these two products and your opinion on is it worth it, i'm defintly gunna buy myself a macbook this holiday season but not sure which model to get (MacBookCore Duo Higher End White or MacBook Core 2 Duo Higher End White)

thanks for the help..!

2. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

I was looking at this also. Middle model (white) refurb vs new. With the same specs, it is only a $150 difference (with student discount) for the CD vs C2D. I've decided to go with the new model.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The major difference is really just the Core 2 Duo. It's about 10-15% faster at a given clock speed than a Core Duo. It may produce slightly less heat. It supports 64-bit instructions and so will be able to use those features of Leopard (whereas the CD will not).

The only other thing to be careful about is to think about how much RAM you want and the cost of upgrading the RAM. The 512MB models all come with 2x256 configurations, as far as I know. Meaning that if your personal definition of a reasonable amount of RAM is in my neighborhood (1.5-2GB) you will definitely have to replace both of them.

But the Core Duo Macbook is an excellent buy.

4. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

I'm pretty sure your correct, it's 2x256 sticks. Also, the Core 2 Duo comes with 1 GB of ram, 512MB more than the CD. So your getting a slightly faster processor, possibly lessheat, 64-bit capability, and 512MB more RAM.

5. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

But the things you do on a MacBook will absolutely definitely positively NOT get any enhancement from 64bit-ness.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Most likely true, although that definitely positively depends on what developers end up doing with the 64-bit features once Leopard comes out.

7. interlaced macrumors 6502a

interlaced

You're also getting 20GB more HD space in the C2D vs the CD. And if it matters to you, the C2D has a dual-layer superdrive.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Oh, I missed that one! Although I've yet to even own a blank DL disc.... :eek:

9. interlaced macrumors 6502a

interlaced

LOL Honestly. I probably won't take advantage of the dual-layerness anytime soon.

10. shov macrumors member

you also get a slightly improved (pre-n vs g) wireless card in the c2d.