Difference between iLife and DVD Creator/FC Express?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by new2mac, Nov 26, 2003.

1. new2mac macrumors newbie

Hey there! I'm new and new2mac and I've a question. I wanna switch form my pc to mac I[layed with it ata trade show and used Adobe's new suite and I'm hooked. So I'm thinkin of getting PB 17" with 1GB ram and everything else standard to start. I'm a web developer but wante to do digital video and dvd creation. What actually is the differences betwen the iLife packeage as opposed to getting final Cut Express and DVD Creator? Its mostly for family stuff though I may want to go pro. Please help me. I'm in looking for a G5 just yet as portability and Halo are more important to me. Also, I've got the win verison of Studio MX would I be able to get (trade in) that for the mac version? All I know is I can get OPHP/Mysql Apache and do Coldfusion on the mac witha better OS. TAlk to me gang! This is alot of money and I really wouldlike to just do iet once.
    Very much looking forward to the discussion and making a whole bunch of new friends!
    Erik

2. pyrotoaster macrumors 65816

pyrotoaster

First, save yourself some money and don't buy RAM from Apple. Websites like Dealram.com have much better prices.

Odds are you'll find iLife too basic for anything really professional. iMovie and iDVD are much more prosumer. Final Cut (both Express and Pro) uses a completely different interface for editing than iMovie. FCP also has its companion apps (like Soundtrack) that design titles and put together professional-sounding soundtracks (Soundtrack is available on its own for $300, too).

The same professional vs. prosumer interface difference applies to DVD Studio vs. iDVD.

It might be easiest (and more affordable) to start by using iLife and move up when you're ready for something more (I'm guessing that'll be pretty quickly, though). It'll also give you just a bit of time to adjust to the new OS and the new interface.

Hope that helps and congrats on switching. :D

3. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I think there's still a deal on (in the UK at least) which means you can get Final Cut Express for £80 (rather than £250) when you buy any new Mac. I took advantage of this when I bought my new PowerBook as I could never afford even the £250 for FCE! You may want to get that if you can.

I like FCE and, because I had it with my computer, have not really spent much time with iMovie (which is slow in my opinion). It likes RAM though, and I'm going to be wanting to upgrade from my 256MB so I can take advantage of the real time effects. You won't have this problem as the 17" includes 512 to begin with. (And get RAM from elsewhere, eg. crucial.com like pyrotoaster said - much cheaper).

iDVD is a great little package and very much suited to family videos, etc. It has its limitations, yes, but then it is free! If you do go pro you can always get DVDSP later.

4. new2mac thread starter macrumors newbie

So let me be clear: I want to get the 17" with 1gb ram. Do Idvd, imovie, iphoto and itunes come already with it? and do I get backup cds of the os and these programs?
    Thanks gagn!

5. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yup, that's one of the many beautiful things with Apple - the iLife software suite (iTunes, iPhoto, iDVD, iMovie) comes with your new Mac and is free. You don't get that type of software for free my good old PCs! ;) As for the backup CDs, once again, you bet - everything's included. What could be simpler? :cool:

6. new2mac thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok so can Iget AppleCare at a later date or is that a purchase I need to make with the pb? And if I get a G5 do I get kb and mouse with it? I'm in Canada so where can Iget good ram and can I easily install it myself or does that void the 90 day warranty?
    Thanks
    Erik

7. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

As far as I understand (and someone please correct me if I’m wrong) you can buy AppleCare at any point and don’t have to buy it when you order your new machine. However, you have to purchase AppleCare before your 90 standard warranty runs out to the best of my knowledge. Also, you can’t get an extra 90 days out of Apple this way – if you purchase AppleCare, regardless of if it’s on the 1st day or the 89th day of your warranty, your 3-year AppleCare starts at of the date of purchase.

Again, if I’m incorrect, someone let me know, but from my understanding this is how AppleCare operates.

8. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Sorry, forgot about the rest of your post. ;) Yup, the Apple Pro mouse and keyboard come with the G5, so unless you’re wanting a scroll wheel 2-button mouse, you won’t need to buy a new mouse. The keyboard comes with 2 USB 1.1 ports on it, so just plug your mouse into your keyboard!

As for RAM, CanadaRAM is a good site to check out as well as RAM Seekers, although the latter is not strictly Canadian. Crucial makes good RAM as well, but you always need to wary of shipping charges, since it would be from the US to Canada. Sometimes you might get dinged with duty as well, but I’m not sure. I have never had a problem with Kingston either, but thast's just my personal experience. My buddy has a supplier and can get quality RAM at cost if you’re interested, but you’d still need to pay a bit for shipping. Just trying to help out a fellow Canadian! ;)

Lastly, installation of RAM – in a PB, my friend did it without too much difficulty and I highly doubt it voids your warranty. On a G5, no problems at all – it’s just like installing RAM in a PC. Pop off the side panel, stick RAM in, close side panel, enjoy! :cool:

9. new2mac thread starter macrumors newbie

Interested but not ready yet to buy. Should I get Appleworks or just go with the free OpenOffice?

10. pyrotoaster macrumors 65816

pyrotoaster

While AppleWorks does have a few neat features, it's hardly worth spending extra money.

Go ahead and get OpenOffice for now. I think Keynote was Apple's first step towards replacing Microsoft Office on the Mac with an Office-compatible suite by Apple. Until that's completely released (someday), I'd stick with the free and/or cheap alternatives.

11. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I totally agree - AppleWorks should be free - it's not worth it if you have to pay for it!