difference between old and new 1.8 GHz G5s

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ChrisFromCanada, Aug 18, 2004.

1. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

I may have found a large difference between old and new 1.8 GHz G5s other than the PCI, RAM, and Hard Drive. I was looking around the xbench results page to try to decide what my next computer should be when I found something very strange about Dual 1.8 GHz G5s. It was that sevral of them scored 138 - 142 on the processor test while many others scored 174 - 175. I found it very strange that there would be a large group of them testing so low and another group testing so much higher so I decided to compare the specs of the processor and for the most part the 174 - 175 ones read:
    "Model - PowerMac7,3
    Processor - PowerPC G5x2 @ 1.80 GHz"

And the 138 - 142:

"Model - PowerMac7,2
    Processor - PowerPC 970x2 @ 1.80 GHz"

This was not always completely true but was a tendancy Have a look for yourself here

Could this be because of the new 970fx or maybe because of the new set-up of the Dual 1.8? Anyway I figured someone here knows what is going on.

P.S. I did a search and found nothing like this.

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Congrats...

You're about to find out how many angry comments you'll get by bumping a thread.

[​IMG]

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Oh noes! :D :p Not after just 1hr :( ;) :D

4. ChrisFromCanada thread starter macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

FYI it had been 13 hours and I just wanted to know what people thought of this. I am not a newb that bumps every ten minutes, I am a regular with over 200 posts.

EDIT: if you were just kidding forget what I just posted.

5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

That's probably because of the bus slewing. the lower scores probably have it on automatic, and the higher scores have it set to Highest.

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I was kidding :D and the 1hr thing was my mistake, didn't notice the AM/PM :rolleyes: anyway...

7. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Bumping even once is against forum rules.

8. dorqiekat macrumors 6502a

9. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Bumping means posting for no other reason than to bring the thread to the top of the "New posts" list, to call attention to it. It is considered unfair to other members. Not the worst offense someone can make, but enough to elicit a warning and/or have posts deleted.