difference btw single and dual 1.8?

Discussion in 'Games' started by paco taco mike, Feb 11, 2005.

1. paco taco mike macrumors member

paco taco mike

would there be a noticiable difference between a single 1.8 powermac and a dual g5 powermac while playing WoW? assuming both would have a x800 graphic card.

2. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Pretty sure WoW isn't multiprocessor aware (most games aren't). The only thing is OS X unloads its sound onto the 2nd processor, which may add up to 1-2 FPS. The DP only really matter when you're doing any sort of encoding... and it makes OS X a bit snappier.

3. paco taco mike thread starter macrumors member

paco taco mike

would you just recommend a single to someone who only would game and do some photoshop work, maybe some flash. so that i can end up getting more ram, hard drive space, better video card, etc?

-mike

4. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

As a SP G5 owner, I'd still probably recommend the DP machine... they're generally not that much more expensive, and it's the one thing you can't upgrade later.

5. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

True, most games arn't MP aware, the extra workword for the programmers and the total number of MP Macs out there isn't worth the extra effort for the retail release.

However

After a game has been released there is the inevitable patch, and this is where you could see some movement towards MP code after the big important stuff is out of the way.

6. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Read what I bolded. Dual is the way to go. You can upgrade EVERYTHING in those G5s later, and pretty much do with without tools. Processor is something you cannot do that to.

7. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

And I'll take this brief moment to groan that Apple discontinued the single processor 1.8 G5s after less than 3 months, damn I should have waited (and I did wait a long time for that damn thing to ship).

8. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Multitasking on dual processors is so much smoother than single processor systems. Even if the apps are not written to take advantage of multitasking, the OS will divide cpu cycles evenly among them.

9. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Ummm, no they didn't? Apple store shows them shipping same day. Is this a non-US thing?

Might be selling my SP 1.8 (Rev A w/ the 900 MHz bus) here shortly for some more power. Home business makes this a potential need.

10. Kreamy macrumors member

Correct me if im wrong but the SP 1.8 rev B is only 600MHz fsb and the DP 1.8ghz is 900MHz p/p which means that even in SP apps like games the DP will have a 300MHz fsb advantage

11. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

There you are correct the FSB on the Dual is 900Mhz vs 600Mhz

12. a2daj macrumors member

WoW is very multiprocessor aware. It's Blizzard's first game with preemptive threading. You won't necessarily see a huge boost in performance but there is a boost nonetheless. I've done some very brief performance tests with WoW on my dual 2.5 in single and dual proc mode (using Apple's CHUD tools) and the framerates do boost up a bit in dual proc mode. Network, music decoding, graphics, etc are handled in different threads. I'd link to Rob Barris's post in the WoW forums, but, as usual, they're having issues with the forums.

13. benpatient macrumors 68000

the FIRST batch of 1.8 SP G5s were replaced after 3 months, yes. They were 900MHZ FSB.

The 2nd batch showed up 6-8 months later (after the iMac G5) and has specs VERY similar to the iMac G5 (hmn...), 600 mhz FSB and all...

The difference between single and dual with photoshop is noticeable. It is noticeable just in general if you multitask a lot. I do, and it makes a big difference. We also have a 1st revision 1.6 SP G5 here, and it it maybe 1/2 the speed of my dual 1.8 with the sort of things I do every day. But just for WoW? That seems like a stupid reason to buy any G5, honestly.

Buy a 500 dollar PC if you just want to play WoW.

Because the graphics card is the biggest hold-up...and a dual 1.8 comes with the same POS graphics card that a single 1.8 does...Any non-integrated, last-generation PC graphics card worth more than 50 dollars will whip up on the graphics card in my rev A. dual 1.8.

Which is sad/embarrassing, but true.

14. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Yes but the Graphics card update is quite cheap via the Apple STore and you can alwasy bin the modem to save a bit more £££$$$.

Of course the new PM's will be out soon anyway.

Hopefully.

Maybe.

Please God!!

15. Kreamy macrumors member

I might wait for the new 3ghz models to get the 2ghz dual for the same price as the 1.8ghz dp - and PLEASE apple a better gfx card! I dunno what stevey sees in the crappy 5200Us

16. isgoed macrumors 6502

I say go for dual. You benefit of dual procs in your photoshoping and regular use and so. And it does increase game performance. From Barefeats ( http://www.barefeats.com/g518.html ), it shows that with a radeon 9600 you get 37FPS with a dual instead of 29FPS for a single in UT2004 Botmatch. This equates to a 2.3Ghz Single G5! And i can only see more use for dual procs in the future.

17. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502

saving lotss of $$$$

18. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

How about playing games like Halo? Is it better on a dual G5 or single?
    Better in terms of moving faster - getting killed all the time by PC players with fast desktops. Halo is a graphic driven game, but does it run faster with the dual?

Am thinking about a desktop for work and Halo. Of course the dual is the best, but will it make much difference (move faster and killing PC players before they kill me online) for me playing Halo?

19. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

I have a dual 1.8, and when i play WoW both CPU's are working over 50%. WoW is SMP aware by design. I ran some benchmarks with WoW using just one, and then both of the CPU's. I even posted screenshots of it. Here they are again though...

One CPU
    Two CPU

These were taken when i had the 6800GT installed. This is the kind of improvement you can see with WoW and dual processor machines.

20. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Ummm... that benchmark is from the crippled 1.8 GHz G5 with the 600 MHz FSB, and not the original one... so not exactly a fair benchmark comparison with SP vs MP systems since they have different FSBes.