Difference, cons & pros of x-box, play station 2 etc...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Joeytpg, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Joeytpg macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

ok, i've never been a real gamer even tho i've owned a Nintendo, Sega Genesis, Play Station 1, and a bunch of PC games. But i've never really been a GAMER so i don't really know the difference between some of the Game consoles out in the market today, at least the "not so obvious" differences.

can anyone explain to me. For example which one's cooler........xbox or PS 2?.....Game cube?...etc?..... (give me an overall view in case i deside to become a GAMER)

P.S.
    i'm moving to Spain in two months and my roomates there have a P.S. 2, can anyone recommend me any good games?..i like the combat style games, war strategy games. etc.

i didn't post this in the Mac Games forum because it's now about Mac Games, it's about Buying tips and advices.

2. saunders45 macrumors 6502a

saunders45

oh God, you opened a big can of worms. First off, console choice is about preference. If you like anime and RPG's, get a PS2. If you like platformers and adventure types get a gamecube. If you like shooters and western RPG's, then get an xbox. it all depends on the games you like.

3. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

If you want the best state-of-the-art graphics experience, go for an Xbox.
    If you want decent graphics and a huge selection of games to choose from, get a PlayStation2.
    If you love Mario and Link, get a Gamecube.

If you really want to be a Gamer, get at least two of the three.

...now I am going to duck my head...

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The big question is how long do you want this system for, The PS2 is the oldest of the 3 even tho the games are still good. Now being the oldest it has the most games available. The Xbox is best for online play so if thats your thing get one of those. The gamecube has the best franchisees in Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, ect ect. If you want to wait a few years, Sony Microsoft and Nintendo will be selling new consoles.

5. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

I think there will be new consoles for next christmas season. (christmas 05.)

Also, your ID (joeytpg) doesn't say where you're from. If your from North America, be warned that a PS2 (and Xbox too I think) have different regions, just like DVD's. If you bought a system here and tried to pick up games in Spain, or the other way around, you may not be able to play them on that system due to region encoding.

For the best review of different "games", go to www.gamespot.com. It's a great resource.

Get PS2 because of Grand Theft Auto San Andreas (lol), my favourite series of games.

6. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i took my PSOne to Switzerland from the U.S. i had the mod-chip, so it could boot any region games.

what i found is that european TVs (PAL/SECAM) was able to handle PSOne output of NTSC games (US/Japan) but not the other way around. now that i'm back in the U.S., i can't play non-NTSC games from Europe.

i am not sure how generally applicable my experience is, but be aware.

7. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Xboxnext is due out in the US in time for Christmas 2005, don't know about rest of the world.
    PS3 in Japan in March 2006, in Europe and US in Fall 2006.
    The next Nintendo console? I don't remember hearing a date on this one.

Given the life cycles on consoles, and the fact that you are not a gamer just yet, I don't see any reason not to buy at least one of the current crop now. Good value for the price at this point.

Does anyone know about imminent price drops on either the Xbox or PS2? I know Sony has a smaller PStwo coming out in November, but don't know anything about price point.

8. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

1macker1

I own a XBOX and my buddy owns a PS2. The XBOX is better graphically. But you really can't lose by chosing either system. It really depends on the exclusive game titles. If you want Final Fantasy, get a PS2, if u want Halo, get a XBOX. But you'll be happy with either system.

I've never played the Gamecube, so i cant comment on it.

9. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Although the original poster only mentioned the XBox and the PS2 (and I'll assume that's why you only mentioned those two) I'll also mention that the Gamecube has region encoding also just to avoid confusion. The Gameboy Advance SP (and I believe the Gameboy Advance along with possibly the whole Gameboy line) does not have this restriction.

10. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

Gamecube is all you need. Ever. Ever ever. Smash Bros, Monkey Ball, Mario Sunshine, etc is all you ever need.

11. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Agreed... for groups that want some not so serious gaming the Gamecube is quite fun... although I never did understand the allure of Smash Brothers... but Monkey Ball, Donkey Konga, Mario Party, and Wario Ware... good stuff...

12. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I keep thinking I ought to pick up a Gamecube just so I can play Donkey Konga. Is it any good?

13. Cybbe macrumors 6502

Both the xbox and PS2 can be modded to allow games from different regions. You can also buy a disc to do the same on the Gc, if this i a concern of yours.

If you'd like to use your console to more than gaming, the xbox can easily be modded to make it the ideal media player in your living room.

14. kasei macrumors 6502a

kasei

The Xbox is going for US$149.99 now. Considering how much money Microsoft is loosing on the system another major price drop is very unlikely. PlayStation2 is now going for US$149.00 also. I have not heard how much the smaller revamp of the PlayStation 2 will sell for. The PSX has not reached our shores, but from hands on experience it is not as good as the advertiser will want you to believe and for the price.. forget it.

I currenlty have an Xbox and love it. Most of my friends work at EA and THQ so I get skinny on all the new stuff coming out. Since EA and microsoft put their differences aside there are a lot more Xboxes in their offices. There are a lot of really goo titles coming out that will knock your socks off.

15. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I'd give it a.... 70%... it's fun but holds the same amount of attention as DDR... I'll enjoy having it around to pick up now and again but I doubt I'll dedicate countless days towards it...

16. w00master macrumors 65816

Well, at least on an XBox you can install Mac OS X:

http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~ranma1/mac_install.html

OH the irony!

In all seriousness, honestly you can't go wrong with ANY of the choices. They all have great selection of games (both 1st party and 3rd party).

w00master

17. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

We have three DDR games for our PS2, and I have a few sets of bongos which I am forever banging on, much to my wife's dismay. This game seems right up my alley. My birthday is just around the corner, and you can get a 'cube bundled with Metroid Prime for $99. Hmmm.... :)

18. rock6079 macrumors 6502

well now that you can put osx on xboxwith PearPC. i think we all know the answer :D ;)

19. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

I completely agree, including ducking your head.

My observation is that PS2 is best if you really want a big selection of games because it's the most popular console. Xbox owners tend to be the "I have to have the latest super-awesome graphics games"-types, which is not a bad thing, if that's what you also want.

I have a PS2 and really like it. I have less than ten games and find them all entertaining, as graphics rendering is not the most important thing to me. Granted, I bought the PS2 when Sony first dropped the price to undercut the still fairly-new Xbox a couple years ago, when the disparity between game selection was even more in PS2's favor than it is now.

Since I love the Zelda games, I have to admit that I'm praying that Gamecube dies off soon and Nintendo becomes a game retailer like Sega. After all, it's actually crossed my mind a couple times to buy a Gamecube solely for the Zelda games, which is just ridiculous. I'd like Nintendo to save me from myself!

:p

20. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

the revamp PS2 is $149 also. (or 149 euros, if he'll be in europe.) it includes ethernet/modem ports but took away the HD capability and firewire port.

if those features being removed won't affect you and you decide to get a PS2, i'd wait until beginning of Nov. to get the thinner one. 75% smaller by volume, 25% smaller by weight. quite slick!

21. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

i can see how some people might not like smash. it can get boring after awhile, and after the first week, the first player mode is useless. its still fun for the occasional party.

but really, monkey ball 2 makes a gamecube worth it.

22. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

You really can't go wrong w/any console. It just depends on what you like to play. Personally I think the Xbox is the best one of the bunch. The PS2's gfx are really starting to look long in the tooth.

Lethal

23. Devie macrumors 6502a

With me owning all three consoles, to me, the GameCube is easily my favourite, followed by the Xbox then the PS2.
    Reasons:
    GameCube: The games! Legend of Zelda, Metroid Prime, F-Zero GX, Mario Sunshine, Smash Bros Melee, Animal Crossing, Eternal Darkness, Resident Evil, Resident Evil 0, Monkey Ball 1&2, Pikmin, Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes, Tales of Symphonia and more!
    And with AWESOME games comming soon; Resident Evil 4, Metroid Prime 2: Echos, Pikmin II, Paper Mario 2, Legend of Zelda and more!
    The Cube also has easily IMO the best controller to ever grace the world of consoles, the WaveBird. The graphics on this little baby are pretty much equal to what the Xbox can do.

Xbox: Awesome, for Xbox Live! That's about it really. But that's saying a lot in that, Xbox live gives you hours and hours of extra gameplay in any Live game. To me, the single player experiences of Xbox games isn't that great, but the Xbox is the place to be for racing games and FPS'.

PlayStation 2: I was one of the suckers who bought this on release and beleived the hype that it will deliver Toy Story quality graphics and that it could launch a nuke and cook my bread at the same time...
    I havn't switched on my PS2 for a long time, but if your an RPG gamer, the PS2 is the place to be, and preferably you can read Japanese, because there are a lot of great games over there that never see the light of day here...

Enjoy whatever you get :).