Difference in iPad and iPhone charger?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Atomant669, Jun 1, 2012.

1. macrumors member

Hi this might be a dumb question for some but I'm sure they are of different amperage? If this is so would I damage the battery on my iPhone with an iPad charger and will the iPad charge slower with an iPhone charger? Would I damage either of these two if I were to swap chargers?

2. macrumors 6502

No damage either way.

Safe to use either of them.

3. macrumors demi-god

Gav2k

As above it dosnt matter. The iPhone has an inbuilt circuit to protect it. If you check the iPad charger out on apples store you will see iPhone is listed under the compatable device list.

4. thread starter macrumors member

So does it means that the iPhone will charge faster with an iPad charger and the iPad will charge slower with an iPhone charger? I'm curious.

5. macrumors 6502

Iphone will charge the same on either one, however iPad will charge slower through the iphone charger than it would through the iPad charger.

6. macrumors demi-god

Gav2k

Charge time for the iPhone will be reduced overall

7. macrumors 6502

I mix mine up all the time with no problems, however its worth noting that the iPad won't charge so fast using the iPhone charger. Also worth noting, although I expect that this is obvious to most people but the actual USB leads are identical, its only the plug adapter part that is different.

8. thread starter macrumors member

Ok. Thanks for all the replies. I wonder what's the charging time like for an iPad through a MacBook via USB. :)

9. macrumors demi-god

Gav2k

Depends on the MacBook newer gen sense the extra draw and up the power to allow charging. Older MacBooks depending on iPad model will just say not charging.

10. macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

This is FALSE....My iPhone charges much faster with the iPad charger.

11. thread starter macrumors member

I'm using the latest MacBook pro 13.3 incher.

12. macrumors demi-god

Gav2k

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4049

13. macrumors 6502a

Do you know for sure that the iPhone charger you're comparing it to is the newer 1A model, and not a 500mA charger?

Regards,
    Tom

14. macrumors 601

Don't overlook search. This is an extremely frequent topic. Answered above but your iPhone will only draw what it needs.

15. macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

I agree. The key is the charger need to say 2Amp. There are 3rd party chargers that is 1Amp which is design for iPhone but claim it.is design for iPad. That is why people people get mixed results.

The current Macs will output 2Amp to charge iPad therefore will be the same speed as a wall charger supplied with the iPad.