difference in old airport models?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by salonduza, Oct 7, 2004.

1. macrumors newbie

Mar 4, 2004
    I am in the market for an airport card for my Pismo.
    Is there difference in old airport models?
    There seem to be 2 versions...

Thanks in advance for any help.
  2. emw
    macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    The original Airport card, which is discontinued, is 802.11b.

The new Airport Extreme card, is 802.11g.

To be honest, I'm pretty sure neither will work in a Pismo, since they are not PCMCIA cards, but I may be wrong. You may be better off with something from Linksys or Netgear.
  3. macrumors member

I'm pretty sure you'll need to buy a 3rd-party PCMCIA 802.11b or 11g card. Here are a few links I Googled:

My suggestion: if you are running the most current OS X, Apple now has built-in support for a number of 3rd-party 11b and 11g cards without doing anything else. No drivers to load. My favorite is the Belkin 54g card (note: it may be CardBus only--don't have it with me and I don't recall if yours will do CardBus or not). It's only $39.95. You can also use Lucent cards and a few others.

4. mms
    macrumors 6502a

Oct 8, 2003
    Actually, the Pismo was the first Apple computer to come Airport-ready, or able to take an internal wireless card (and way back in 2000, too!). However, I don't think that it works with the Airport Extreme cards, so you would probably have to find an old Airport card. Otherwise, a PCMCIA card will work just fine, just externally.

Try asking for information on the G-Books mailing list.
  5. thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 4, 2004

Actually, what I meant was, there seems to be a "Rev A" and a "Rev B" type of situation with the cards - where one was an update of the first generation. Perhaps it has something to do with 64 vs. 128 security?

P.S. Apple even has a movie about how to install.