Difference: Iphoto/Spotlight comments?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sogo, Jan 28, 2006.

1. Sogo macrumors 6502

I have been adding keywords and comments to my pictures in iphoto. But the a while ago I noticed that the comments were not added to the spotlight comments box when I do apple-I to the original picture...

Well my question is: Regardless if use iphoto or the info box, the comments I put in there are being saved to the file right? As in, the meta data is added to the picture and not only to the special iphoto and spotlight files.

I ask because I imagin if i were to copy my pictures onto another OSX comptuer, that i would still have all the meta data and not have to write everything again.

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Unless something changed in iPhoto 6 (and I haven't bothered looking yet), the comments/keywords that you add to a picture in iPhoto, aren't added to the file itself. They're added to a file within iPhoto which cross-references them all like a mini-database.

This means that Spotlight can still find them but, unfortunately, it also means that unless you move your iPhoto library to another Mac, it won't see them. Just porting the pictures over, won't do it. If you export them from iPhoto, you can tell it to keep the comments.

3. Sogo thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm...sadness...Kinda defeats the point doesnt it...