Differences between browsers (particular Mozilla ones)?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Abstract, May 31, 2005.

1. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well, I can see the difference between FireFox and Safari in terms of speed and such, but I don't understand the need for Mozilla, Firefox, and Camino. Is there a real big difference. They all tout similar features and are made by the same company. Wouldn't it be great to just make one great browser? Making 2 or 3 is like admitting that you don't do any one of them very well, because of one was great, they'd ditch the poorer browser.

Or am I missing something? :confused:

2. Crikey macrumors 6502

The products are different. It's nice to have choices, just like it's nice that we don't all have to run Windows.

Mozilla is an "application suite" with a browser, e-mail client, HTML editor, and other goodies all in bundle. Some people have been using Netscape or Mozilla's e-mail client for years and don't want to change.

FireFox is "just the browser". Leaving out the other features makes it faster for those who don't need them.

Mozilla and FireFox are cross-platform: they work and look just about the same whether you run them on a Mac, Windows, or Linux. Camino is an effort to give FireFox a more MacOS X native look-and-feel. Because I'm embedded in a multiplatform environment, I must confess to never having tried Camino. But I think it's great that some folks care enough to develop it.

I guess that's the rub: the mozilla.org group isn't really a "company", with a fixed number of employees coding for money. It's a voluntary assemblage of people cooperating to build the products they want to use. If there were no Camino, there is no guarantee that the guys who are working on it would turn their efforts to developing FireFox or Mozilla. They are involved because they want an OS X native client.

Crikey

3. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Actually Camino predates Firefox - it is an effort to give Mozilla a more MacOS X native look-and-feel.

I've tried Camino several times (usually whenever someone says "they've added new features!"), but I keep going back to Firefox.

4. Abstract thread starter macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Thanks.

I was really wondering about Firefox and Camino, and knew that Mozilla was the entire package, but I always wondered if Mozilla's browser was just Firefox or not, sorta like how you could buy MS Word on its own, but if you bought MS Office, you'd still be getting Word, just all packed together with everything else.

Thanks again. :)