Differences between Computer & Console gaming

Discussion in 'Games' started by MikeyTree, Feb 9, 2007.

1. MikeyTree macrumors 6502

Jan 5, 2007
    I'm going to be buying a new laptop soon, and I'm trying to decide whether to buy a 15" Macbook Pro, or buy a Macbook and use some of the $850 saved to buy a good console for my 34" HDTV.

I haven't owned a gaming console in decades, so I'm curious what sorts of games are available for them. I'm not crazy about FPSs - I tend to prefer RPGs, strategy games, fighting games, and weird narrative ones like Myst. Is there anything like this available for consoles, or am I better off just spending the extra money for a better laptop?
  2. zap2 macrumors 604

Mar 8, 2005
    Washington D.C
    I'm a console man, over all I think its better, and will last your longer. Your MacBook Pro will never be top of the line for gaming, you System will last you 4-5 years atleast with constant new games
  3. JackAxe macrumors 68000

Jul 6, 2004
    In a cup of orange juice.
    I would put the money towards a MacBook Pro. Consoles like the Wii really aren't that much and can always be purchased later on. A computer is a much better investment in the long run and if you decide that you wanted a MBP after buying a MB, well, there's not much you can do without taking a loss.

PC gaming has its perks like free online play, but now days it's saturated with more blah than anything else. When I was younger I had consoles, then moved to PCs from about 90 to 2003/2004. (I've been playing PC games since the early mid-eighties, just not on my own PC.) I've always owned high-end PCs that I assembled myself, but now if it weren't for 3D rendering and some propietory emulators I need, I wouldn't even bother upgrading them. To make matters worse, Microsoft is pushing games that should be PC only onto to their console exclusively. So some of the better PC games that should only be played with a mouse and keyboard, are being simplified to work with inferior controls.

Anyway, I really prefer consoles and portables these days. The DS is absolultely great, because it's a system I can pick and put down in an instant do to my heavy work load. It has both a good variety of console games and old-school PC games that I've missed. Games like graphic adventures and strategy games. It's getting Spore. :) I love the Wii, because it has brought a really important element of PC gaming to consoles; Mouse like precision and speed for pointing, so RTS games or any other similar genre will be at home on it. It also adds a whole new level of play that not even a PC can match.

Besides Warcraft 3 mods, I really haven't played or bought a new PC game for sometime. All the demos I've tried recently have been rehased blah. Ironically, I find the most joy with old console games from the late eighties via the Wii's virtual console. (I find this way more entertaining then doing the same thing on any of my comps) I also really enjoy games lke Wii Sports, which is something truly new and fun.

So to sum up my ramble, buy a better computer now and then a console later on.

Sorry, lots of rambles.

4. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2005
    Fighting games on PC? :eek: Where?

I'd recommend nabbing a console, but it depends if you may end up wanting that extra MBP horsepower for something else (Photoshop or whatever)
  5. 7on macrumors 601

Nov 9, 2003
    Dress Rosa
    The MBP and MB don't really have that much difference in PS benchmarks. The only thing really affected is 3D performance. Still I love my MB and Wii combo and I would never take an MBP over the two.
  6. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Feb 16, 2005
    Lyon, France
    I like consoles because you pop in a game and it'll work regardless of your machine specs or operating system.

Oh, and I agree, the DS rocks!
  7. BoyBach macrumors 68040

Feb 24, 2006
    The main difference between PC and console gaming is that the 'spec-sheet' of the console doesn't change, so, in theory, the games will just work.

Whereas with a PC game you need to ensure that your PC has the right processor, memory, graphics card and so on that the games needs to run, plus that these components will support the required 'DirectX'. Despite what Microsoft says, it isn't always a case of "plug and play."
  8. FXRS macrumors newbie

Jan 2, 2007
    Ok to expand on the question. I enjoy online play with my pc. Mainly Battlefield 2142, GTR2 racing, and a couple others I know are not available for console. The reason I enjoy gaming on the so much more is because of the fact of the large amount of people that you can play against say on a 2142 server, up to 64 players. Are consoles now able to do this? I had/have (kids have it now) a Xbox and really like the Rally 2 game but it could only do 3 players if 4 showed up they would be in ghost mode and to me that just sucked. :(
  9. Spartacus macrumors member

Nov 28, 2004
    I think computer gaming isn't exclusively for more hardcore gamers, but the constant upgrading and technical concerns involved with computer gaming tends to favor those with a lot of time and resources to devote towards gaming. If the original poster is more a casual gamer, I'd say go console. I completely understand how the mouse and keyboard are the best controls, but in the end I have just as much fun shooting stuff with analogue sticks than I do with a mouse and keyboard, even if I'm not as accurate.

If you do go with a console, you'll have little use for the extras a MBP has to offer. The CPU in the MB and MBP are the same, so for most non 3d tasks like Photoshop or pretty much any iLife application, the MB will be just as good (assuming both have enough RAM).

Go console and don't look back. But if you do, get one of the next generation systems to utilize that HD display of yours :)
  10. ericsthename macrumors regular

Apr 13, 2005
    Vancouver BC
    Ok, I believe I can shed some light directly on this, because I purchased exactly what you're proposing: a 15" MBP and an XBOX 360.

What I've found is this:

The MBP CAN play games - just not well. Sure, you can get it to run just about anything out right now, but you will have to make many sacrifices, and spend a good deal of time messing with the in-game settings to get the game to a point where it's solidly playable. Add to this the fact that if you want to do any current gaming, Bootcamp is going to be a must, and the situation becomes so convoluted that you will most likely find yourself (as I have and did), longing for the simplicity and great graphics that your 360 (or PS3 if you're so inclined) offers.

It wasn't clear whether you're thinking Wii or not, but based on the fact that you have an HDTV and are looking for a computer gaming replacement, the 360 and PS3 seem to better fit your niche.

I do like having a graphics card in my MBP, but I find that if I really consider things, It wasn't worth the premium I ended up paying for it.
  11. Cromulent macrumors 603

Oct 2, 2006
    The Land of Hope and Glory
    PCs are the only option is you are a big MMORPG player (as I am). Been playing Vanguard recently quite a bit. But also have an Xbox 360 for games like Call of Duty and Gears of War which I just want to play and not worry about anything not working.
  12. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Dec 7, 2006
    São Paulo
  13. FXRS macrumors newbie

Jan 2, 2007
    I'm not sure about that. Like I said I have Boot Camp and XP running on here and Battlefield 2142 plays like a dream on it. Hell on my reg. H.P. gaming rig with the nVidia 256 meg card (Can't think of the model right off hand but it was one notch down from the top of the line one about 6 months ago. To lazy to go upstairs and look too. :D ) I only have the option to run it at 1024x768. On here I have more options at a higher res. Now I'm not saying I tried it at a higher res on here (running at 1024x768) but the option is still there. Maybe next time I run it I'll try it at a hight res and see how it does.
  14. holamiamigos macrumors 6502a

Aug 10, 2006