Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 4, 2003
Stupid question I’m sure, but what’s the difference between Firefox and Camino? They both seem to be from Mozilla and are based off the same engine, so what makes them different from each other? Just exploring my browser alternatives and wanted to clear this up.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
camino is a native Mac OS X browser, written in cocoa, so it runs faster on Mac, and more responsive, but without extension support
firefox is a ported version for now, it will be a native mac OS X browser by version 3.0. It is a little bit slower than Camino, but with extension support.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 4, 2003
Cool, thanks. :)

So apart from the extension support, is Camino lacking anything that Firefox has in terms of features or functionality? When Firefox becomes native in v3.0 will Camino lose its advantage in this respect? Or will it still be faster?

fistful

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
Socan
~Shard~ said:
So apart from the extension support, is Camino lacking anything that Firefox has in terms of features or functionality?

Off the top of my head the only other features lacking in Camino are RSS and multiple quick search engines besides google.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 4, 2003
FistfulofAngst said:
Off the top of my head the only other features lacking in Camino are RSS and multiple quick search engines besides google.

No RSS, really? Hmm, didn't catch that one when I was looking at it. I thought that was table stakes these days as far as browsers go...

fistful

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
Socan
~Shard~ said:
No RSS, really? Hmm, didn't catch that one when I was looking at it. I thought that was table stakes these days as far as browsers go...

Well I do know RSS is planned for a future release as well as spell check. The latter is currently part of the nightly builds from what I understand.

Also, one feature Camino has that Firefox lacks is built in ad blocking.

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
I had no idea about this. I run Firefox on a MB w/ 512 MB of RAM and it doesn't seem nearly as sluggish as it did on our PC. I haven't put all of the extensions back on it yet, so that may be making a difference. With taht in mind, is the noscript extension necessary for the MAC version of Firefox?

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
FistfulofAngst said:
Well I do know RSS is planned for a future release as well as spell check. The latter is currently part of the nightly builds from what I understand.
Oooh, about time! :D

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
FistfulofAngst said:

Also, one feature Camino has that Firefox lacks is built in ad blocking.
Camino also lacks the search bar of Firefox.

I'm using the spell checker in Camino now. TBH the Camino nightly builds that I have used have all been more stable than IE 6.0 (even the worst nightly) so as 80% of the world is using a less stable browser I feel fine! :D

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
there is other stuff, for sure, such as
"/" will not promote a search bar at the bottom for camino
no single window mode for camino 1.0.2 (1.1 nightly or 1.2+ nightly both have it)

but as far as usability, I really think the stuff I said in previous post are only major issue.

fistful

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
Socan
Eraserhead said:
Camino also lacks the search bar of Firefox.

Sorry if I'm being dense but didn't I mention that in my first post? Unless you're speaking of something entirely separate.

FistfulofAngst said:

erikistired

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2006
(770)
i can't seem to get camino to open new links (all links!) into a new tab instead of a new browser, which is about the only reason i use firefox instead. yes, i can control-click-apple_key-shift-click or whatever, but it's too much to remember.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
FistfulofAngst said:
Sorry if I'm being dense but didn't I mention that in my first post? Unless you're speaking of something entirely separate.

I mean the page search bar at the bottom of Firefox (see screenshot)
Picture 5.png

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
f1sh3r said:
i can't seem to get camino to open new links (all links!) into a new tab instead of a new browser, which is about the only reason i use firefox instead. yes, i can control-click-apple_key-shift-click or whatever, but it's too much to remember.
go get camino 1.1 nightly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.