Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Simon Young

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
I'd like to start ripping my CD collection in Apple Lossless, but I'm worried that my old PowerBook G4 won't make the best job of it. I'm going to get a unibody MacBook Pro 17" when it's released and I'm just wondering if it will do a better job in terms of ripping accuracy and encoding quality.

TJRiver

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2009
Ripping CDs, be they lossless or mp3, should not tax your G4 too tremendously. Video ripping, now thats a whole other story. The difference between your G4 and the new MacBook Pro will be night and day (and another night....):apple:

phairphan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
Reject Beach
The quality will depend on the settings you choose, not the particular machine you do it on. As long as you're using the same codecs and settings, you'll get the same file. The MBP will just do it "snappier," so rip away!

MarkCollette

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2003
Toronto, Canada
I doubt there'd be a perceptible difference, but it'd be interesting to see if the same song ripped with the same version of iTunes, on a PPC and a Core 2 Duo would make the exact same file, or if differences in floating point or SIMD instructions would lead to small bit differences in the mp3s.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.