Differences between SD Card and Memory Stick?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Veldek, Jan 1, 2004.

1. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Hi all!

I'm wondering if there are any differences between an SD Card and a Memory Stick used in Digital Cameras. I'm planning to buy one and want to know if I have to base my decision on this, too.

Thanks in advance.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Re: Differences between SD Card and Memory Stick?

SDs are postage stamp sized cards whereas memory sticks are ... well, sticks. Memory sticks are used primarily by SONY. I am not aware of their use by any other digital camera manufacturer.

3. Veldek thread starter macrumors 68000

Veldek

So, apart from the different shapes, there's no obvious difference?

And yes, I'm torn between a Sony and a Canon.

4. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

I'm pretty sure the SD card was developed by Panasonic as a rival to Sony's memory stick. I believe the tech of the SD card has since been licienced to other companies (eg, canon.)

I'd go canon, panasonic or JVC for mini DV cameras. you get a much better camera $ for $ compared to Sony.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Sony may sell decent digital cameras but Canon knows cameras. Given those two choices, Canon is the way to go.

6. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

memory stick is more durable, not as flimsy as sd, but you should concern yourself more with the camera, either will do just fine, its the camera thats important

7. kidA macrumors regular

SD has higher read/write speeds than Memory Stick and has higher capacities than the original Memory Stick. Memory Stick Pro, OTOH, goes up to 1 GB. Neither will affect picture quality at all--that all goes to the camera. so I'd be more concerned about the camera maker and its features than the memory format it uses unless you already ahve a but or SD cards or something. Sony makes great digital cameras, and so does Canon. Pretty much any digital camera you get from one of the big manufacturers will be pretty good--Sony, Canon, Pentax, Nikon, Olympus and HP all makes fine digital cameras. Some are better than others, but there is more disparity between individual models than between manufacturers in general. Just stay away from the new Gateway cameras and anything that seems too good to be true (ie 4 MP for $150 might take big 4 MP pics, but you'll have poor color fidelity and artifact-ridden pics). What kind of features and picture quality are you looking for?

BTW, i believe we're talking about digital still cameras here, not MiniDV, manitou.

8. Veldek thread starter macrumors 68000

Veldek

Thanks to all for your answers, you helped me a lot. I will go to the store and compare the two to see which is better. Now that I know about the cards, I learned that the other features are more important.

And it really was about still cameras...