Differences btw 5G 60 gig and and 80 gig w/ 1.2 update?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by reubs, Sep 13, 2006.

1. reubs macrumors 68000

Jun 22, 2006
    So is there anywhere that outlines the differences between the 60 gig and the 80 gig aside from screen brightness? I've updated the firmware and everything, but for my money I can't tell a difference with the new firmware.

I would hope my 5G wouldn't be too outdated so soon after purchase, but I can't find and hard and fast facts about the differences.

Thanks for any info.
  2. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

Jan 8, 2005
    On the moon.
    Umm, brighter screen, more battery life, bigger hard disk. o.o'
  3. reubs thread starter macrumors 68000

Jun 22, 2006
    Maybe I should have been a bit clearer...I meant aside from the obvious hardware differences...because those things are pretty easy to find out.
  4. aristobrat macrumors G4

Oct 14, 2005
    I don't think the 5G has the search feature where you can use the wheel to do the alphabet...
  5. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

Jun 29, 2004
    This is the only difference that i've found. Still loving my true 5g ipod.
  6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

Feb 19, 2005
    Even still, I don't get why we can't have the search. Seems like a software thing not a hardware thing. This is the only thing I'd want. Better battery life is super subjective...of course it is better, but not as better as they seem to quote, as well as a brighter screen...I never noticed it was dark!
  7. Bibulous macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2005
    Can the old 5g play games? 30GB are now only 179 refurb, very might have to get one at that price.

Man I fell old paying 400 for a 10GB 2nd gen...
  8. reubs thread starter macrumors 68000

Jun 22, 2006
    I noticed the other night on my 60 gig 5G that when I have a long list of songs and I scroll through I get the letter that I'm on. (A, B, C). I had never noticed that before b/c I don't have many albums loaded on there yet, and I hardly ever search by song. Is this a feature that's always been there?
  9. boiee macrumors member

Oct 22, 2005
    Yes the old 5g can play games! :) im playing Tetris RIGHT now haha and i love it
  10. boiee macrumors member

Oct 22, 2005
    no this hasn't always been there. this is from the 1.2 firmware. it's a welcome edition when you have A LOT of artists/albums/playlists/etc.