Differences & Why

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Fabby, May 14, 2006.

1. Fabby macrumors newbie

I am currently using an Intel pentium 4, 2.93 GHz Processor, PCI Express RV370 128mb Video Card, DVD-RW Super multi drive, Windows XP Pro, 160 Gb HDD with Dreamweaver 8 for web design.

I am looking at similarities with Mac, can some1 help?

2. D34th macrumors regular

I'm guessing you are asking what Apple computer would be most like the PC computer you have...? My guess would be a 17" iMac Intel Core Duo. Both have DVD-RW drives, 128MB video, 160 GB HD...They seem very similar to me.

3. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

With those specs, you would probably be equal to an iMac Core Duo.

4. Fabby thread starter macrumors newbie

Differences & Why

Not knowing anything about Mac, what are some stats & for web design, what software would i require for it?

5. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

You would be able to use Dreamweaver on a Mac.

6. D34th macrumors regular

Stats? Well the Intel iMac Core Duo is available in 17" and 20" sizes. I have the 17" that features: 160GB HD, 128 video, dual core 1.83 ghz (now remember the apple/mac processors are not the same, so don't think 1.83 is any slower than your 2.9), built in iSight camera. I mean, just go to the Apple website, www.apple.com/imac

7. Fabby thread starter macrumors newbie

Differences & Why

As stated b4, i am currently running Intel Pentium 4 2.93 Ghz Processor, PCI Express RV370 128mb Video Card, Windows XP Pro, 17" LCD Monitor, 2.1 Speaker System, DVD-RW Super multi Drive, 160 Gb Hdd for web design, using Dreamweaver as software.

IMac 17" Intel Core Duo has been recommended as an equal to my machine. Except for the Dual Core processor, most other specs are similar to my pc. However, i dont understand what the differences are or why they are different. I have tried looking up IMac Core Duo site, but dont understand it. Can any1 help?

If any1 knows of a site to get pricelist as well, i would be most greatful

8. Fabby thread starter macrumors newbie

Diffences & Why

As stated b4, i am currently running Intel Pentium 4 2.93 Ghz Processor, PCI Express RV370 128mb Video Card, Windows XP Pro, 17" LCD Monitor, 2.1 Speaker System, DVD-RW Super multi Drive, 160 Gb Hdd for web design, using Dreamweaver as software.

IMac 17" Intel Core Duo has been recommended as an equal to my machine. Except for the Dual Core processor, most other specs are similar to my pc. However, i dont understand what the differences are or why they are different. I have tried looking up IMac Core Duo site, but dont understand it. Can any1 help?

If any1 knows of a site to get pricelist as well, i would be most greatful

9. p0intblank macrumors 68030

Using Dreamweaver on a Mac and a PC will be the same experience. They're both exactly the same software. The only thing different will be performace, but probably not by much at all.

What makes Macs different from PCs is the operating system, also known as OS X. If you want to see the differences between the two overall, head on over to http://www.apple.com/getamac

Any other questions, just ask them here! :)

10. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

11. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

Go To a Store

If you are near an Apple Store I would highly recommend you stop by one and see what there is to offer. All your questions can be answered there, in person.

http://www.apple.com/retail/

12. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Well, apart from the CPU, the iMac isn't that much different in hardware from what you have, spec-wise, but is probably a nicer design machine. However a Core Duo at 1.83GHz would be approximately the same as having two of the CPUs you currently have, with the potential of being twice as fast.

As has been said, the real difference is in the operating system. Must, but not all, people who ever use the Mac OS prefer it over Windows or Linux. So you really have to try it out before laying out $1500-$2000.

However, in the interests of helping you make an informed decision, if you are thinking of buying a Mac, you will have to take into account that any Windows software you have now will not run in Mac OS.

So you would either have to buy the Mac version of Dreamweaver if you want to use it in OS X or you could also use Boot Camp to partition your hard drive to install Windows, or run a virtual machine from Parallels, but you would have to spend up to another $300 for a Windows XP Pro disk ... there are ways around this, e.g. going to an online electronics store like NewEgg and getting an OEM version for $90-$120.

I think Boot Camp kind of defeats the purpose of getting a Mac. You end up with a nice looking dual core Windows PC that's up to twice as fast as the one you have now. I recently switched, and installed Windows in a Parallels virtual machine. I find I hardly ever use it, except to play Civ II. When CivIV comes out for the Mac, I doubt I'll boot up the Windows VM at all.

If you can afford it, get the Mac OS version of Dreamweaver and go Mac-only.

13. quidire macrumors 6502

quidire

They are only sort of equal; after Intel decided that the p4-method of increasing clock speed at the cost of having ever longer execution paths (how long it takes for a given operation to get through the chip) and realised that all that branch-prediction was making its chips huge and hot (a bad bad thing), it made a laptop-oriented processor called the Pentium M. The M had maybe 1/2 the clock speed, but was a more powerful chip.

An analogy would be, Honda makes 4 cylinder engines that can rev to 10,000 RPM without a problem. Audi makes a 12 cylinder engine that goes far faster, and accelerates more quickly, but probably never goes about 6,500 RPM. Clockspeed (that number that is in GHz) is the RPM.

Anyway, so after the M did really well, Intel decided to take THAT approach, and apply it to a new line of chips; those are the Core ___ chips.

Along the way, dual core (two processors on one chip) became popular. Intel released the Core Solo, a M-style chip that was newer, faster and a bit more powerful. It also released the Core Duo; basically two of those Solos in one chip.

All this means is that the iMac Core Duo can probably thrash your P4. So they are different.

The iMac has a better video card (I think, what the hell is an RV370? Its no Nvidia or ATI product I've heard of).

If you are asking about hardware differences, there you have it; the iMac is better. It is better for other reasons; it has EFI (target-mode booting, a feature of Macs for quite some time, is a revelation.) which is a replacement for the decades-old BIOS, which your current computer (and all Windows PCs) are still stuck with (because Microsoft won't have EFI support until Vista is released).

Now if you are asking about software availability differences, well first let us look at similarities:

If you must use Dreamweaver, it is available for the Mac (and has been forever). The current version (V8.0?) was released for both around the same time, last year wasn't it?

Microsoft Office is available for the Mac. While it is still a power-pc only release, the rosetta JIT-emulation is fast enough that every review says that other than an extra second on launch, it runs fine (it takes a second for Rosetta to translate the executable from one architecture to the other). A "Universal" Office version should be released in a few months; I'd imagine it will be a free downloaded update to the current version.

If you are asking what the difference is between Win XP and Apple OS X, well...

That is a long answer. The short version is OS X is immune to current viruses (the newspaper stories described a potential weakness for a worm, not a virus, and the user had to execute it to make it work (in other words, you would have to run the worm to have it attack the computer, otherwise OS X is immune to it as well)), is immune to current spyware, crashes less, multitasks better and doesn't suffer from Windows' "bit rot" (the tendency to need to reinstall every 6 months or have strange performance degredations and files abruptly go missing).

If you were asking a question I haven't covered... write without using AOL slang! "b4", "any1", really, are you being charged by the keystroke?

It is astonishing how much clearer your writing will be when you actually use English.

14. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

FWIW, I believe Macromedia has included the Mac and Windows versions of Dreamweaver on the same CD since Dreamweaver MX 2004, so you should already own the Mac version of Dreamweaver.

15. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

yep, I own dreamweaver, flash, and fireworks MX 2004 and they all work on a Mac/windows.

16. Fabby thread starter macrumors newbie

Differences & Why

Firstly i would like to thank everyone for their input on this subject. Most of my questions (specs) have been answered. However, i still have no idea what people's view on which they think is the better system & why? Input on this would be appreciated:)

17. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

EVERYONE HERE WILL SAY MAC OSX IS THE BETTER OS! Use it and you'll know why.

If you are referring to which mac system is better, that depends on your needs and wallet. Bigger/faster is always better in my book :D

18. Fabby thread starter macrumors newbie

Differences & Why

I was referring to the total product (ie Pent 4 vs IMac)

I realise that those of you who use IMac would prefer it just as I prefer Pentium, but i need to know if there is a particular reason (other than price) why you would prefer whichever it is you chose.

19. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

spinne1

For Mac users it is not about the specific machine. The only reason a Mac user would use an iMac over your machine is because it runs OS X. End of discussion. The details of performance between the two machines do not really matter. If your machine was three times faster but didn't run OS X, I'll keep mine! Get it?

A particular reason? As has been stated before----> OS X

20. KingSleaze macrumors 6502

The latest incarnation of the iMac, using Intels newest CPU, the Core Duo, is a vast improvement over the Pentium 4.

It runs OS X. It will even run Windows. But most importantly, it runs OS X. It works, easily.

21. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

You have it wrong here. You're comparing an iMac (a computer) to the Pentium (a computer chip). That's like comparing a baseball to a baseball stadium. Like I said before your answers will not be fully answered until you yourself go to an Apple Store and use the machine yourself, firsthand. Without doing so there is no way for you to make an intelligent decision on the matter. There's only so much we can say. It's up to you to go out and "test drive" one yourself. It's like buying a new car. You can ask your friends who own the same one what they think but until you sit in the drivers seat and take it for a spin you'll never know if it's for you or not.

22. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

Ever heard of the "megahertz myth?"

http://pulsar.esm.psu.edu/Faculty/Gray/graphics/movies/mhz_myth_320f.mov

23. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

24. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

25. rockandrule macrumors 6502

Probably the best way to articulate our reasons and feelings about our switches over to OSX and the Mac are best spit out on : Get a Mac (which has already been posted). I am a Mac user because 99% of the time it really does "just work", and the other 1% it is typically not a problem that will take more than 10 minutes to fix and it's almost always user error. Most of all, we value our operating system many times over Windows. There are people on here that also run Windows on their systems, or have other dedicated Windows systems, but they mostly only use them when they are forced to by business endeavors. But with the new integration of Boot Camp and the sure integration of at least Boot Camp straight into OS X 10.5 (Leopard), if not virualization, we are now able to run Windows on our machines without having any lag; sometimes the clocks are even faster on a Mac!

That was a short list, but hopefully it will help you understand our reasons. Really, visit that site. I know it was up here before, but make sure you go there and click around the "more" hyperlinks to get a good basis on why we made/make our computing decisions.