different accounts BUT share music, photos and bookmarks

Discussion in 'macOS' started by koswo, Mar 20, 2006.

1. koswo macrumors member

Oct 7, 2004

Can anyone help me with this situation?
    Currently I work with one account on my Mac, both my wife and I use that account. Now I would like to change that and create an account for each user, BUT I would like to share iPhoto library, iTunes library, internet bookmarks (I work with Camino) and address book entries (oh, and maybe also calendar entries). What's the best solution to do this?
    (I have a 17" Intel iMac with the most recent software updates installed.)

2. G99 macrumors 6502

Mar 8, 2006
    OK-You can put everything you want on the "Shared" user, which every user can access. This way, you can both access pics, and music from here. But, I'm not too sure about bookmarks. There must be some way to get Camino to utilise bookmarks from the shared folder... Sorry I couldn't be of anymore help.
  3. koswo thread starter macrumors member

Oct 7, 2004
    Ok, but if I put in shared, other computers in my home network have full access to it?
  4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    iTunes: How to share music between different accounts on a single computer (much like G99 suggested), and similar for iPhoto. Move the iPhoto library and point iPhoto to the new location.

For other computers on the network you can turn on sharing (which will allow access, but not allow editing from a remote computer).

For bookmarks, address book data and calendars a .Mac subscription might be the easiest, as many of the apps involved insists on having the data in particular places.
  5. whooleytoo macrumors 603

Aug 2, 2002
    Cork, Ireland.
    For bookmarks, you could 'export' them as .webloc files, save them all to a folder in the Shared user folder, then put that folder in both users' dock. That way you can access the bookmarks via the dock's popup menu.