Different ads for different countries?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by kretzy, Dec 28, 2005.

1. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

A bit of a random question, but I was just wondering if the ads on MR change depending on which country you are in (I don't even know if this is possible :confused: ) ? It's just that i've noticed quite a few ads from Aussie companies/businesses, which seems unusual for an "American" based website.

2. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

The adds I've seen are through Google Ads, which I understood fits ads with the content of the page you're reading and country you're in. This should mean that the ads you see are more relevant to you, increasing the chances of you actually using them.

I may well be wrong though.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, each country (or region) gets different banners. That's why it's so amusing when someone complains about the same banner appearing on each page because it's usually the first time us Aussies see it. :p

4. kretzy thread starter macrumors 604

kretzy

Cool thanks for the replies guys! I had a feeling this would be that case, but just wasn't sure if it was possible....oh the wonders of the modern world :cool:

5. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

it's all based on your IP address. while your ip may be dynamic, it never changes which ISP it's tied to. these web apps can very easily tell where abouts someone's coming from.

6. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Sites like this allow anyone to do it:
    http://www.dnsstuff.com/ "City From IP"
    Anyone this site is very useful for tracking down crackers. I have used it before.:D