Different Apps for Same Type of File

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by tomf87, Feb 7, 2004.

1. tomf87 macrumors 65816

Sep 10, 2003
    Anyone ever seen this? This drives me crazy and it happens all the time.

EDIT: If I double-click the top one, TextEdit fires up. Double-clicking the bottom on results in Adobe Acrobat. If I CTRL-click on the top one and open with Adobe, it opens with no problems.

Attached Files:

2. sebisworld macrumors 6502

Jun 24, 2003
    Well, that's a cool thing about Macs. If you save a PNG in Photoshop, it opens in Photoshop. If you save it in Fireworks, it opens in Fireworks.
    If you want to get rid of it open get info and change the default application.
  3. tomf87 thread starter macrumors 65816

Sep 10, 2003
    Well, this happens with sit and pdf's... I'm just curious as to what could be different about the file in question..
  4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    The "creator" code on the file is textedit, not acrobat. to change it back, delete the .pdf extension, then add it again. it will ask you if you really want to add a file extension, and then should default the application to acrobat.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    This is one of the very powerful features of MacOS X 10.x. It is a carry-over from NeXTstep. If you want to change this behaviour for pdf files, then do a "Get Info" on the file you want to change. Change the application you want to use to open the file to oh say Acrobat, Adobe Reader, or Preview. If you want to change all pdf files to the same application, just check the little box.