Different Compressors

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Espnetboy3, Oct 20, 2005.

1. Espnetboy3 macrumors 6502

Ok so I had a deadline today to get this indie movie I made done. Now, i really dont understand the point of dvds because they only hold 4.7 gig and when i rendered my movie which was 27minutes long I used a dvcpro compression at 90% and it was 6.11 gig and so i bumped it down to 75 % and it was still exactly 6.11 gig. Anyone know any other good compressions that still look good? The animation is to large of a file and sorenson 3 just doesnt look great and takes a while to render. The "video" render looks pretty good. It actually looks very sharp compared to rendering dvcpro, anyone notice this?

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

What are you trying to do, make a DVD of it to send off? Are you working in Final Cut or another program?

DVCPro, MiniDV, and DVCAM are all basically the same format (as far as image quality is concerend).

Lethal

3. Espnetboy3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Lethal im talking about the compression codecs in premeire or FCP. I render to "video" , "dvcpro" sorenson, h264 blah blah blah.

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I'm trying to get and idea of your end goal. Why are you wanting to compress the movie? What do you want to do with? If I have a better idea of where you want to go hopefully I'll be able to give better directions. :)

You mentioned "animation" in your first post? Is this like a 3D animation you've imported into FCP?

Lethal

5. Espnetboy3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I meant the animation codec/render. I was just wondering like wihch one works good becuase I spent hours rendering to different compressors and they were still all over 4.7 gig.(I wanted to put my movie to a dvd). Also a few differents compressions such as video or dvcpro or animation , they tend to look a bit diff from each other. Video like i stated is very sharp where as the dvcpro is soft looking.

I then realized that toast/dvdstudio pro/idvd/encore will enconde and compress any movie file size when burning. So there is no need to render down if your going to burn it using a dvd authoring program.

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Animation codec, IIRC, is a lossless codec that's good for moving gfx/animations around (like from After Effects into Final Cut). Of course once you finally output to DVD or DV or whatever all that prettyness goes away. :( ;)

Lethal

7. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Animation is extremely well defined and super-crisp, but it's HUGE file-size-wise (being lossless), and you're right, it's optimized for moving, say, some cool rendered text or a little bit of CG graphics between apps without losing quality.

To answer the original question: you don't have to compress the video so it fits onto the DVD as a file, whatever mastering/burning program you end up using will do that for you.