Different Educational Discount For Different Schools?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jbl594, Dec 30, 2006.

1. jbl594 macrumors newbie

Hi All, i was just wondering is the educational discount the same for every school? I am currently enrolled in an undergraduate university, and in the processing of enrolling in a law school.
    Now I know your probably thinking just go to apple.com and change the schools and look but... My Law school has there own "apple store" site that apple's website redirects you too and you need a student login and password for it, which I don’t have yet. This will be my first Apple computer (still a little skeptical) and I was just curious to see if the prices would be the same for both schools.

Thank you for your help!

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

They're the same prices here in the UK, so I guess it applies to the US too.

EDIT: Seems from next post that I am wrong..

3. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Different schools have varying degrees of discounts. Some schools have large discounts on software but not on the hardware, other are the opposite. You need to check the school to see what amount of a discount they have. But I suspect that a lot of schools just go with the norm config that Apple would like, but I know my school doesn't.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

We have specific sites for some of our colleges and departments, but the pricing seems to be the same. I think it's more that the particular sub-unit selects special configurations that they recommend to their students. Although...none of ours are password protected, as far as I know. :confused:

The only time I could think of where offering better prices to a smaller unit would make sense is the situation where students and/or employees are mandated to buy particular computers. Like sometimes schools will require every new enrollee to buy one of two or three specific options -- everyone must own one of those as a precondition to enrollment. In those kinds of cases, they might ink a special deal on pricing for the configuration, since it's a source of guaranteed revenue to whichever OEM sells the computers.

Other than that, though, the general "higher ed" student discount in the US is the same from school to school.

The other thing is when schools have substantial discounts on software. This is an entirely different matter. When one school offers Office Student & Teacher Edition for the standard $129 or whatever, and another school sells you Office for $15, they're actually giving you different products with different rights -- the $15 copy is a site license that confers much more restricted rights than the STE of Office does. Usually, it's still an amazing deal, but it is a different license.

5. weldon macrumors 6502a

weldon

I have noticed on occasion that the campus bookstores have different prices than the online Apple Education stores. In particular, I have noticed that Stanford sometimes has much better prices in their bookstore than the Apple Store for Education would indicate. It's been a couple years though.

6. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Just to be clear - the Apple Online Store for Education has the same prices for all schools.

Individual campus stores (ie. not operated by Apple) often slash prices even more (I got Aperture for $99!)

edit: sorry, mkrishnan gave a detailed account of this

7. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

When the campus bookstores undersell the Apple Store for Education, they are often told not to advertise the prices. I work at the University of Washington, and our bookstore occasionally sells stuff (especially the low end hardware) for less than Apple does. We (not me; someone I know who procures Apple stuff for the bookstore) have been contacted by Apple about this in the past. :)

When I bought an iBook about three years ago, I recall that I got it for $150 less than the advertised educational price - and it was the current iBook at the time, not a previous model.

8. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

im pretty sure that the Apple Education discount is the same for every school. I think the discount might be deeper for government workers tho......or so i heard