different firewire cables

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by enriquecaballo, Aug 11, 2004.

1. enriquecaballo macrumors newbie

Aug 11, 2004
    i need to buy a firewire cable solely to charge my new ipod. i've bought an adaptor for my 4g ipod that will plug into the dock connector. the adaptor will allow me to have a line out that i can plug into the stereo.

i'd also like to be able to charge my ipod while it plays, so i need to buy a 6pin-6pin firewire cable that will run from my ipod's adaptor to an exisiting apple power adaptor that i have.

apple charges $20 for a firewire cable, but i find multiple places on the internet that charge only a few dollars for their cable. is there any reason for me not to buy the cheaper cable? i won't be using this particular cable for data transfer, solely for charging my ipod when i play it away from home.
  2. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Apr 16, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    I'm a bit confused by your question. Why would you buy a firewire cable when the 4G iPod has no firewire port on it? You need cables that plug into the dock connector. Does your adaptor have a firewire port in it? If that is the case, it really doesn't matter what firewire cable you use. The only thing special about the Apple cable is little Apple logos at each end.
  3. enriquecaballo thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 11, 2004
    correct, the line-out adaptor also has a 6-pin firewire input. that's why i need to purchase the new firewire cable to run into the power adaptor, so that i may charge while i listen to the stereo. the supplied firewire and usb 2.0 cables plug into the dock connector.

i assumed all the cables were the same; i just wanted to check.
  4. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    Cape Cod
    He's talking about Apple's proprietary FireWire cable.

enriquecaballo, I don't see anything wrong with a non-apple iPod cable, I know several people who hate the iPod cable, and use 3rd party cables just fine.
  5. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Jan 7, 2003
    Washington, DC
    I ordered firewire cables (and others as well) from sfcable.com. Good prices, reasonably quick service, and no problems with the cables on my mac.