Different kind of Airport Express question

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by plutnicki, Jan 4, 2005.

1. plutnicki macrumors regular

So, I'm thinking an Airport Express might solve a few issues for me, but I can't find one answer on the Apple website.

I currently have a wireless network with the following config:

Motorola Cable modem, connected via enet to:
    Airport Extreme Base Station which is hard connected to
    iMac G4 15" and by wireless to
    Titanium Powerbook (plain ol' Airport)

I want to add an Airport Express to do the following:

Increase the signal strength to my TiBook. The Express would end up in my living room near the home theater. It would also get connected to my stereo system so I could play music from both the iMac and the Powerbook.
    The third use, and the question I can't quite answer, would be to use the Express' Ethernet port to connect to my Xbox. I'm guessing that this should work just as well as if I plugged the Xbox ethernet into the base station directly. This would allow me to use the Xbox for Live use, since the current location of my HT system make it tough to get an ethernet cable to the modem, and for everything to be on the internet, I'd need to buy a router anyway.

So, my question is, does anyone know if the Express can be used in such a fashion? The specs for the Express say that the ethernet port is for a Cable or DSL modem (or connection to a local network), and it's that part that makes me think this might work.

Appreciate any thoughts you might have as this one component sounds like I could kill 3 birds with one stone.

Thx,

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

This is for a slightly different situation, but if you check my post in this thread, I've written detailed instructions on how to use an AirPort Express as a wireless bridge with a Linksys WRT54G. With luck, some of that might help you.

Almost definitely, you can do what you want to do, but it might take some finagling.

3. anotherjeff macrumors regular

anotherjeff

Any follow ups on this? Can the airport express be used with an xbox?

4. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

(Never tested myself: don't own Xbox nor ABS)

If it uses TCP/IP (which it most probably does), it will work.

5. plutnicki thread starter macrumors regular

Never found out

Had two apple store employees tell me it would not work. I was unwilling to drop $130 to try.

I am happy to report however, that the Xbox Wireless Adapter works just fine. No difficulties getting that set up at all.

6. rkphoto macrumors regular

rkphoto

I have a similar setup and it works....kind of. I have a DSL modem hooked up to a Linksys WRT54G wireless router which is hardwired to my G5 iMac and my wife's PC Laptop in my office and then have an Airport Express in the TV room that is hooked up to my G3 iMac and my home stereo system. I assume you could use the Airport Extreme in the same fashion that I'm using the Linksys. It works pretty well but the Airport Express loses it's connection from time to time. I think that is more a function of it being too far from and having too many concrete walls between it and the Linksys. But when it's working it extends the range of our wireless network and I'm able to access the internet via the G3 iMac which is connected via ethernet to the Airport Express. I can also play music through my stereo from my G5 iMac in the office or wirelessly from anywhere in the apartment with my wife PC laptop. I was also told by one of the Apple store employees that it wouldn't work but it does so it's worth a try. No idea if it will work with the Xbox but I assume an ethernet connection would work with any device connected to the Airport Express.

rk