Different layout options for different browsers?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by tag, May 15, 2006.

1. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

I've been using SunriseBrowser instead of Safari as my main browser lately, and I just noticed that it seems to have a different layout, with different options when in MacRumors.

At the top, the menu bar is different, I no longer have any pulldown menus (like Quicklinks/FAQ/Search) but instead I have Buddylist and Mark forums buttons.

And then at the bottom of threads / boards it is different as well. I get Thread Tools boxes and Display mode/rate this thread options as well(actually this is kind of useful I like being able to thread search from down there :D ).

So what would be the cause of this? It would be neat to have the Safari like menu bar at the top, but the SunriseBrowsers options at the bottom of threads/posts.

Attached Files:

2. thomasp macrumors 6502a

Most likely Sunrise doesn't support the javascript, or whatever, associated with the drop-down menus that vBulletin provides - I used to have this problem when using IE5.1.x on OS9, since IE5.1.x barely supported HTML, let alone all the whizzy features that vB3.x had.

3. tag thread starter macrumors 6502a

tag

Ok funny thing here. :D I figured it out. SunriseBrowser allows me to modify my user agent string. I totally forgot that I had messed around with it.

It seems when I revert back to the default string (Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/125.5.7 (KHTML, like Gecko) SunriseBrowser/0.837 ) Macrumors displays the drop down menus like normal, but if I modify the user agent identification at all, it will revert back to the no dropdown menus / different options at the bottom of the page. Interesting. :p I so didn't realize that could have been the cause.