Different Mac Backup Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AndyR, May 8, 2006.

1. AndyR macrumors 6502a

AndyR

I'm about to take the plunge in the next few weeks and order myself a spanking new 20" iMac to replace my trusty PPC Mini which is what sold me on Macs last August.

I have got to sell my Mini to help fund the iMac so I won't have the option of doing the target diskmode feature to transfer all my files accross so I'm looking for some suggestions.

Does anyone know of a good peice of free software I can use which can backup my mini (iphoto, itunes, documents, mail etc) to my external firewire drive, which I can then get onto my iMac when I get it with the minimum of fuss.

My only concern is how this works with iTunes/iPhoto library as I've never done this before and assume its not just a simple file copy.

Thanks!

2. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

You can use SuperDuper for this. You can even make a full, bootable drive clone to your external drive so when you get your new iMac, you can boot form the firewire drive and it'll be the exact same thing you had on your mini. The free version will do all the things I described.

3. AndyR thread starter macrumors 6502a

AndyR

Thanks for your help. Will download the trial tonight.