Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phynios

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2010
Hey all,

I'm new to this forum and I like what I see so thought I'd show you all something I discovered. Maybe it's already here somewhere but I haven't seen it on any forums myself.

To have a different springboard background to your lockscreen without Bosspaper you will need both Winterboard and iFile.

If you create a folder in /var/stash/themes/ it will appear in WB as a selectable option. I did this and just called it SBbg (SpringBoard background). Then use iFile to copy an image of your choice into this folder and rename the image 'Wallpaper.jpg' (case sensitive). You MUST change the image attributes before it will appear as the wallpaper, so change the following:

Ownership:
Owner: root
Group: wheel

Access Permissions:
755 i.e.
User: Read, Write, Execute
Group: Read, Write
World: Read, Write

Exit iFile and open WinterBoard. You should now see your new folder listed as an option in here. Simply select it and respring to show the new image as your SB background.

I like to have a vibrant image on the lockscreen and change it regularly but I like the springboard to be legible so I keep a pretty plain background here like a simple gradient or greyscale image.

Hope you find it useful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.