Difficulties changing harddrive icon..

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Fleetwood Mac, Aug 19, 2006.

1. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Since it seems like changing your harddrive icon to look like your computer is all the range these days, I decided to give it a go. I used the good ol' copy paste method to change the icon.The first icon I tried was a traspearent (talking about the background ofcourse) .gif. It looked pretty good, but the background wasn't transparent as an icon. So then I thought I'd try a .png, the same result. Now I've gone looking and found an actual icon which looks pretty good. I though I'd just copy the icon from one get info to the other like I've done for so many other applications and folders, but to no avail. When I click on the png icon I had on my harddrives getinfo thing last, it won't select it. The blue highlight halo isn't appearing at all. On a further note, I can select and copy any other icon in the system, but not paste. Its like all of my icons are read only now.

Suggestions?

Update: Tried in other accounts, problem is system wide. All icons are locked.

2. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Download CandyBar. :)

Go to Get Info, and Owner Permissions, or something like that. When I could change an icon before, I'm sure there was a padlock there I needed to unlock by entering my password, first.

3. Fleetwood Mac thread starter macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Candybar sorted it out.

Why would Candybar be able to change icons while the sstem can not..

Edit: I checked for a lock and there wasn't one. I think it might have just been the .png messing with the icon loader or something.