Digg inspired by MacRumors?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MacFan25863, Dec 16, 2005.

1. MacFan25863 macrumors 6502a

MacFan25863

In a recent interview with Mad Penguin, Kevin Rose states that
    Sounds like the orginal idea for Digg came from MacRumors! Wow!

You can read the full article here.

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Digg is pretty cool. In many ways, they are better than Slashdot, but their commenting system needs a major overhaul. Too many whiners complaining of old stories or dupes. With Slashdot, you get much better in-depth discussions, but it too suffers from poor navigation.

At least with MR, the gods decide which stories get promoted, and then we lemmings comment away. The quoting system with VB 3.5 is so much better too. You also don't get the same sense of community you get here in MR.

Here's to the Crazy Ones [​IMG]

3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

thats cool. and he gave credit where credits due.

Respect.

4. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

I agree 100%. Slashdot's comments are much more professional, but digg is like a whole bunch of babies always complaining. Half the comments are just "lol" or "^ ^ agree". But the stuff that gets digged is always interesting.

5. MacFan25863 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFan25863

Now the next question:

Is Kevin Rose one of us? Maybe he actually posts here under a user name no one will ever guess...I mean, JK Rowling did it with some Harry Potter sites, and Kevin freely admits he enjoys using a Mac...

6. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

No offense, but who cares? :)

7. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

I use all three sites. Couldn't have put it better myself. :)

8. MacFan25863 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFan25863

I'm just throwing it out there. I'm betting some people would think its kinda cool to have him among our ranks. But I agree, I don't really care, either.

Though I'm sure you wouldn't be saying that if it was Steve Jobs :p

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

kainjow = Kevin Rose. :eek:

10. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

I'm a loyal Slashdot reader; the comments keep me coming back. The thing about Digg (at least for someone like me who can't be online 24-7) is that it is so dynamic that every time you go there the stories are changed and shuffled. So it is hard for a poster or a reader to follow developing comments and exchange ideas-- I think this is one of the reasons the digg comments are not as good as the shashdot comments.

11. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

I heard Kevin Rose in an interview say that MacRumors "is like crack", and he's totally addicted. It truly doesn't matter, but I'm sure he has a screen name if he's addicted to this place.

12. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Digg is being assaulted by KoolaidGuy with major spamming and promoting stories. Thank god MR doesn't have that problem. ;) I make myself an easy target all the time! heheh

Here's to the Crazy Ones [​IMG]

13. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Digg is awsome! I have thier RSS feed for ever story, so I get about a couple hundred stories a day. Glad that he got the idea from MacRumors!