Digi 003

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by BCains, Mar 1, 2007.

1. BCains macrumors regular

It's official the digidesign 003 family is here, how dissapointing. :(

the only advantage I see over 002 is that of wordclock inclusion, for us users using outboard converters - big deal.

Attached Files:

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

wow, still only 18 channels of i/o, and still only 10 external digital channels. leave it to digi to wait for so so long to deliver something so so unimpressive.

3. cschreppel macrumors regular

Yeah,

Kind of disappointing. Although, it makes me curious as to whether or not to sell my 002 console to get the rack and look for a better control surface...

...also, I hope they fixed the power harness issue.

4. mikeinternet macrumors 6502a

mikeinternet

looks like my 001 has some more work ahead before it gets put out to pasture.

yea thats right still using the 001. and it's kicking ass. clocking in at least 15 hours a week.

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i'd still be using mine if i hadn't needed to switch to firewire...

this 003 really is a joke, isn't it? had they simply upgraded the adat to s/mux, i would have gone for it. a big, expensive, dongle, plus another $2500 for another rosetta800, but i would have done it.

but they couldn't be bothered, could they? they really really want PTLE users to have to put up w/ their conversion if we want 16 channels. i thought they'd nicely positioned PT-M so that the next so-called revolution of PTLE would be to hit a middle ground between M and HD. now i can't even tell if M or LE is the low end these days. bastards.

6. BCains thread starter macrumors regular

I didnt think anything big would happen with it, even thou i was hoping. :rolleyes:

I wonder what version of protools is going to be the end for 002, 7.4 or 7.5?

Just another reason to upgrade to HD.

7. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

and that's what i think their gameplan is. but they piss me off so much, i don't think i'll ever do it.

for that kind of money, i'd rather have a radar system.

8. mikeinternet macrumors 6502a

mikeinternet

yea. the 001 has me stuck with my g4 and PT 6.4. i'm hoping to upgrade both at once. but i'll hold out as long as this setup is still working fine.

about the move away from adat. i have to admit i'm cheap when it comes to this. but i need the inputs so. i'm happy with adat. personally i would have loved another 8 ins instead.

digidesign is the worst company with 1 good program.

9. mikeinternet macrumors 6502a

mikeinternet

yea. so that way we can get screwed and let down on a larger scale.

10. TrustPros macrumors newbie

no joke I want my 001 back. I bought a dual g5 and digi002 and my old g4 system was rock solid I dont know what to do I am thinking of switching to logic pro and a motu interface. what the f is up with digidesign. the new stuff is weak.

11. SimonTheSoundMa macrumors 6502a

Radar jumps all over PT HD. It really does make you wonder how over-priced Avid make their hardware.

People have gone the PT route, been forced into their hardware and are now stuck into it.

12. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i'm feeling a certain amount of stuck-ness w/ PTLE. then again, i guess that'd be true regardless of platform, once one has a body of work represented by session files of any DAW.

13. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

so i've been hearing talk about the m-audio profire lightbridge. it's pretty much basically what i was hoping the digi003 would turn out to be -- just a dongle that would allow me to go 24 channels of d/a of my choosing.

again, the positioning of LE relative to M seems not well thought out. i used to think LE was going to move closer to HD, now it just seems that it'll eventually be phased out or regarded as largely irrelevant.

maybe it's time to switch to PT-M....

14. rkaynan macrumors newbie

USB Drive Or Firewire Drive

I just bought an iMac and am planning on upgrading my Digi-001 to at Digi-003 in about a week. I am confused. Which is better for pro audio; a external USB drive or an external firewire drive?

15. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Firewire without a doubt.

16. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

The nice thing about the 003 is that the 002s are cheaper now:D