Digital audio cable advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Omad0n, May 9, 2005.

1. Omad0n macrumors regular

So I've got a Fantom X8, and i'd like to hook it up digitally to my powerbook. The thing is the digital from the Fantom, is a Coax, and well the 17inch bowerbook is a minijack. So, is there a cable taht i can get for this? Is it e ven worth it since it'll loose some going to a minijack? Should I just be hooking it up through the normal inputs? Any advice and ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. Poeben macrumors 6502

You would need a converter box to convert from SPDIF coax to TOSLINK optical. Then you would need whatever optical cable to go from the converter to your powerbook. Such devices can be found for under $100.

http://www.digitalconnection.com/products/audio/co2.asp

I would recommend, however, that you look in to a firewire or USB audio interface such as digidesign's MBox, M•Audio interfaces or any of the MOTU stuff. That way you can get native SPDIF plus 24 bit analog I/O and MIDI I/O. IMO, You will be better off having a good audio host to play with rather than trying to use your keyboard for everything. I use ProTools and Digital Performer and can recommend both.

Good luck.

3. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

The new 17" PowerBooks have a built-in digital minijack. All you need to do is go to Radio Shack or some similar electronics/audio store and pick up a gold minijack to RCA adapter. They cost about $10. Then just run a short minijack-to-minijack (male/male) cable from the PowerBook and connect your shiny new adapter. From the adapter, use a standard RCA cable or your digital coax cable into the coax port on the Fantom. The RCA cable (like a yellow one included with digital cameras) will carry the digital signal just fine.

I have a similar setup on my PC. My sound card has digital output through either minijack or TOSLink optical, but because my surround sound receiver's optical connection is full, I had to come up with a use for the minijack. It works perfectly (Windows required some coaxing to pass DVD AC3 untouched, but I think it would be less troublesome on the Mac).

I wish the 15" PowerBooks had digital-out! It's one sorely missed feature of my new one.

EDIT: Oops! I just realized that you want to input to your PowerBook, not output to the keyboard. I don't know what I was thinking! You could use the Phantom's USB connection or the standard headphone port, since the PowerBook does NOT have digital *input*.

4. Omad0n thread starter macrumors regular

EDIT: Oops! I just realized that you want to input to your PowerBook, not output to the keyboard. I don't know what I was thinking! You could use the Phantom's USB connection or the standard headphone port, since the PowerBook does NOT have digital *input*.[/QUOTE]

I hate to correct someone who is trying to help me, but the bottom of this apple page on the 17incher would beg to differ http://www.apple.com/powerbook/index17.html

5. Omad0n thread starter macrumors regular

6. macdad2 macrumors member

I have to agree with poeben's advice. Shop around for a decent usb or firewire interface that accepts rca/spdif signals natively. btw.. the powerbook digital IO capabilities are no slouch - at least on paper. I have not put mine through it's full paces yet (still waiting to get logic pro) but the digital IO is one of the main reasons I went for the 17. read up on it here

17" rev D developers notes - audio