Digital Audio Nightmare!!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by giveamile, Mar 15, 2006.

1. giveamile macrumors newbie

Ok so I used to be able to play dvd's in 5.1 dolby digital goodness, but now something has gone terribly wrong.

I reinstalled osx a while back and since then it hasn't worked. I just started messing with it today and I'm determined to figure out the problem. I've read all the how-to's on this issue but nothing has worked. I hope someone can help me.

So I went to system preferences->sound and changed output to digital out. My tos cable is plugged into the optical out and it goes to my logitech z-5500. In the audio midi setup is where the problem lies. Under the default output the only options are built in audio and none. same goes for system output. i clicked on configure speakers and then multichannel. all the options are grayed out except for stereo. under audio output when i change 2ch-24bit to encoded digital audio it changes the defualt output and systme ouput to none. Also when i close the setup it doesn't save the changes. There are no programs open, so no itunes or dvd player interference. What is wrong. is my os corrupted or something really weird? Anyone got some ideas please help!!!

2. Squidgy macrumors newbie

I am having the same problem. No open applications, etc. Any help on this would be appreciated. I am trying to send DTS encoded digital out to my AV receiver.

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Open DVD player, with no disc in the drive. Go to Preferences->Disc Setup, and under Audio Ouput, choose Digital Out - Built in Audio (or whatever says Digital Out of you have an external sound card)

4. Squidgy macrumors newbie

I know that the DVD player application has this option. Unfortunately I am not using the DVD player application, I am trying to play DTS-encoded WAVE files using iTunes. I am hoping to send the DTS encoded digital audio out from my computer (iMac G5) to my AV receiver using the optical cable. Even though I am sending audio out over a digital cable, apparently iTunes is not capable of passing through the encoded data directly to my receiver to decode. All I hear is high-frequency hiss. In the Audio Midi Setup application it appears that there is a way I can tell the computer to pass through the encoded data, however I cannot get it to save the settings as in the first post.