Digital Audio Out on Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DaLurker, Jan 16, 2007.

1. DaLurker macrumors 6502

So got a quick question about the Digital Audio out on my Macbook. If I want to connect it to my Logitech Z5500 via Digital Out (Z5500 support coax and optical and 6Ch Direct) what adapter do I need? I hear something like a toslink connector or something?

Any help would be great! Thanks

2. poopyhead macrumors 6502a

poopyhead

mini toslink
    I know it comes with the airport monstercable connection kit but don't know if you can find it anywhere else

3. mkubal macrumors 6502a

mini toslink from monoprice

I bought a couple of these a few months ago (because they're so cheap). They work great in addition to a standard toslink cable. You can also buy a toslink to mini toslink cable if you want, but I prefer to use the adapter and have a normal toslink cable if needed.

4. DaLurker thread starter macrumors 6502

So using this adapter in the link, can I just hook up a normal toslink cable (ie such as the one I use to hook up my DVD player to my receiver)? Or would I need to pucrhase mini toslink cable?

5. andysmith macrumors 6502

Yup, just use a normal toslink cable with that adaptor.

6. DaLurker thread starter macrumors 6502

So I just dropped by my The Source by Circuit City (Radio Shack basically) and bought a toslink with Dual Connectors!! So both ends has 3.5mm and the standard toslink connector!

Finally I can listen to my music and watch DVD's at 5.1 with Dolby DTS :cool:

7. sparky977 macrumors newbie

I just bought a PureAV mini toslink output for my Macbook Pro. I just tried a Dolby 5.1 DVD and a DTS 5.1 DVD but my receiver is not getting the 5.1 input. Am I missing something here? My System Preferences>Sound says that I have Digital Output working.
    Any ideas or help would be VERY much appreciated.

8. sparky977 macrumors newbie

9. sparky977 macrumors newbie

nevermind, i finally found the answer about 10 pages into searching the forum.

10. 2fives macrumors regular

While we're on the subject I may add the analog audio from the headphone jack is total crap. Serious low quality. It's almost mandatory to use a digital connection for audio listening.