Digital Audio vs TiBook G4 ?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by bluetrepidation, Mar 7, 2004.

1. bluetrepidation macrumors member

I just got a Digital Audio G4 from www.macofalltrades.com. It's 466 MHz with 640 MB of RAM and I popped an old original ATI Radeon card in it I had collecting dust. It has 32 MB of VRAM. Now I installed UT 2003 and it is perfectly playable even though it requires a 700MHz processor. So far this thing is a little beast and I love my machine. I intend to upgrade it with a good processor soon. But my friend and I wanted to play UT and he has a 667 MHz TiBook G4 with 512 MB of RAM. UT 2003 is unplayable on his computer. Not even 1fps on everything. My question is can the graphics chip in this machine be that bad? Mine isn't anything fancy just an original Radeon. So I guess there is a BIG gap between the ATI mobility chips and the Radeon line of cards? He says his laptop has 32 MB of VRAM too. Could it be because the laptops use 15-inch wide screen displays? Or is there something we may be missing? With no audio and lowest graphics it doesn't even help. My 466 processor doesn't even have L3 Cache!

A.J.
    :confused:

2. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

radeon will always trump rage tech. something about doing 2 things at once in a radeon vs. 1 on a rage. any ati card with the word radeon in the name will do this.