digital camcorder advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by simon1, Apr 28, 2004.

1. simon1 macrumors newbie

Jan 19, 2004
    Teesside, UK
    I'm thinking of getting a digital camcorder and was looking for some advice. I want the option to record my vidoes onto it so I can then put them onto my powerbook and then record onto dvd (if it's possible) Looking at paying no more than £600.

Thanks in advance.

2. hvfsl macrumors 68000

Jul 9, 2001
    London, UK
    I would recommend the Sony TRV 22E. It has analogue in/out as well as dv in/out. Plus a lot of other useless (well to me at least) features like USB MPEG1 capture, photo mode, lots of special etc. It cost me £440 before Christmas, but it was on sale at the time.

Because it has analogue in, you can record videos or even TV programmes with it and copy them to your Mac for editing/storage (then burn them to DVD if you have a DVD writer). It is very good in low light conditions and has a lot of connectors on it for so you can upgrade it with different functions.
  3. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    The Canon ZR series are always a good choice IMO. The current models here in the states are the 80/85/90, and some places still have the older series of 60/65/70 at some nice savings.

I am not sure if they use the same model names overseas. I assume that you will probably find similar savings there too.
  4. denm316 macrumors 6502

Oct 16, 2003
    I have the Sony TRV22, I have had no problems with it and it shoots a great picture. Plus it has the best night-shooting ability I have ever seen.
  5. DGFan macrumors 6502a

Mar 28, 2003
    So YOU'RE the one posting those x-ray shots on the web!!
  6. jimsowden macrumors 68000

Sep 6, 2003
    Since your in the UK, I would reccomend the MV600 (equivilent of the zr80) for you. Can't beat canon with a stick.
  7. masterjedi73 macrumors 6502

Jan 12, 2004

I've got the ZR85 and it's terrible in low light. I've tried to shoot some theater stuff, and it comes out all digitized. Really Bad.