Digital Camera Advice?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by ColoJohnBoy, Oct 5, 2005.

1. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

Alrighty, I'm wanting to upgrade my digital camera before galavanting off to Europe. I've narrowed it down to three models, and while each has it's strengths, each also has some nagging flaws. I'm hoping to find some trustworthy real-world experience with them to help me decide (The user reviews on CNet are quite useless). Anyhow, I have it narrowed to th Nikon Coolpix 7900, the Casio Exilim Z750, and the Sony CyberShot P200. All review sites, like CNet, have them rated similarly. The 7900 sounds great except for an apparent inability to take decent shots in indoor/low-light situations. The Casio sounds good, except the image quality isn't up to snuff; same goes for the Sony. Given your experience with these brands/models, which would you recommend? Thanks!

2. iGary Guest

iGary

Nikon makes excellent P&S digitals. I've owned two, both dead through no fault of their own.

3. ColoJohnBoy thread starter macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

I've been leaning toward the Nikon, mainly because Abe's of Maine has an awesome special on them right now, but the issue with the low-light shots is a biggie for me. Have you heard or experienced anything like this or how to resolve it? I have an old Coolpix 3100 right now, and while low-light shots aren't great, they aren't as horrible as they sound for the 7900.

4. vashim66 macrumors member

try dpreview.com

I've got the canon rebel XT which I highly recommend, but it sounds like you want something small like a point and shoot. I've always had good luck with canon's personally (never really liked nikon that much). The SD550 is their new 7MP point and shoot. Looks pretty nice to me!

5. efoto macrumors 68030

The three models he pointed were all P&S, $380-$450 pricerange according to froogle. The SD550 is a fine camera, a friend has one and loves it however I have zero hands-on experience with it. I have heard great praises about Canon's A-series cameras, so you might look there too.

Between the three, I would look Nikon and Casio before Sony. I think although you get a decent product from Sony you spend too much on name and style where you should focus your funds on function. I think the Nikon would be your best bet of the three you listed, especially if there are deals running on them to make them even more affordable.

You will always get the Nikon/Canon debate, but I think both are quite functional and capable cameras, you can't go wrong either way.

6. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

I will in the near future be purchasing my 6th Sony digital camera. No they havent all broken down, they all work superbly. I owned it from the time I got my 1st cybershot with 1.2 mega pixels. Back then, the most high end was 2mega pixel and i was like "nah, i dont need that much juice"

well, a good 7 years sense then, ive kept upgrading and ive never been happier. The zies lenses on the P200 is superb and the LCD display on those are sharper then its competirors so those are two features I enjoy alot from Sony.

Between the camera's your comparing, I would look at it like this
    A. How do they feel in your hand because that makes a big difference. Go to circuit city or something and just feel them in your hand.
    B. Do you own other Sony stuff? If so, great, you can use your memory stick within other devices. If not and you own other equipment that use SD cards, maybe best to go with the Canon because it also uses SD and you can interchange your SD cards within other devices so I would also look at it from that point.

7. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I have a nikon 8800 and i love, not in your price range but i like it and would buy another Nikon. I was actually thing of getting it as a side camera when the 8800 is to big to take around

8. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Go and have a look at pbase.com and check out lots of real-life shots from the cameras you're looking at. They're generally posted with the EXIF data and it's much easier to see whether pics of friends around a pub table come out noisy/blurry with the various cameras.

I'm about to go and buy the Fuji F10 (can't wait for the F11 to come out) which gives stunning results in low-light but is often marked down in reviews for not having many manual options. Most forums suggest turning down the exposure AE by 1/3 permanently and setting your own ISO to get the best results.

Here's the review of it on dpreview

and check out some of the pics from this user on their forum who is based in Hong Kong and has some great shots from his F10
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/postersprofile.asp?poster=hiigigivhwij

9. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

ZoomZoomZoom

Don't buy from Abe's of Maine! They are a scam. Make sure to search online before purchasing from a vendor! There are a ton of places that won't hesitate to give you misery if you order from them online. Be especially careful of some of the New York camera shops.

Casio EX-Z750 has my vote. Far superior battery life, has very good set of manual features for PnS, and all at a nice price. Haven't had a chance to look at those particular brands of Nikon and Canon, though.

10. ColoJohnBoy thread starter macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

A scam? I don't know, my father is big into photography, digital and otherwise, and he swears by Abe's, everything about them. Different experiences, I suppose.

I had no idea so many of these websites existed! PBase.com is especially helpful - It's interesting to see photos of places I'll likely be photgraphing while in Europe!

I still am leaning toward the Nikon, I think. I do like the Fuji F10, except for the fact that it requires the extra little dongle to offload photos, hook to a TV, recharge battery, etc. Same for the Casio and it's dock. Who knows, though?

Thanks all, so much. I think I finally have enough information to make a decision. I'll keep you posted! :)

11. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

ZoomZoomZoom

Haven't had firsthand experience with Abe's, but it's one of those camera shops that have tons of nightmare reviews. (Although some people have gotten their products, it's like Russian Roulette.)

Here's a few discussions about Abe's of Maine:
    http://www.phototakers.com/forum/archive/abes-of-maine-help-5709.htm
    http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=009FQY
    But some people get what they want, and if you do manage to get your order through without problem... more power to you. :D

12. ColoJohnBoy thread starter macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

That is a bit fishy... hmmm... I checked on CNet and they've listed a few other resellers selling the same cameras at right around the same price. If any of them seems, as best I can figure, more reputable than Abe's, I'll certainly go with them.

13. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I agree w/ZoomZoomZoom. Abe's of Maine, and other grey marker retailers like them, can be shady and I would stay away from them. Everything might go fine. Or you might get hosed and have your product on "back order" indefinitely or have to fight to get charges removed from your CC for a product that hasn't shipped yet. Not worth the headache just to save a few bucks IMO.

If a store is selling a product much lower than the going rate odds are it's a shady place to shop. Doubly true if you are buying over the internet.

Lethal

14. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i always shoot nikon. i prefer their user-interface over canon. very spectacular macro settings, excellent customer service.

15. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Abes isn't a scam, nor is buydig.com and all the rest of the cheap camera people.

Go to dpreview, look up the Fuji F10 and any Panasonic that looks in your budget or p&s-ee-ness.

16. efoto macrumors 68030

I prefer Nikon's user interface over Canon's (at least in the DSLR cams I use) but I think in the high end Canon is winning the battle, and probably the war. I stopped buying new Nikon ED glass and just started getting some used stuff online, and once I graduate and get some much needed cash flow in, I'll probably jump over to a newer Canon with some L glass :D. In the upper ranks they just have more $$$ for R&D and they hold nearly 75% market share, hard to dispute those numbers as much as I hate to say it :(

B&H and Adorama are both good. Although they don't always have the best prices they are very reputable and have excellent customer service. I have purchased many items from both of them (usually just compare prices between the two of them) and have returned a few to each as well (wrong item once, seemingly used "new" item another time) and they were more than happy to take them back, paid shipping both ways too which impressed me.

17. AZGINBOGA macrumors regular

I am a Canon fan, so get a Canon Powershot SD500....Cheapest price online was at newegg.com also check bhphoto.com