Digital camera buying tips

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by markjones05, Nov 14, 2005.

1. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

I'm looking to invest in a digital camera. Im looking for something 5 megapixels, the slimmer the better, and good bang for the buck. Can anyone who has experience with this reccomend anything. I don't trust the swindlers at Best Buy.

2. Flying Llama macrumors 6502a

Flying Llama

Well, the Sony T7 is not the best in low-light, and prices range from $400-500, but it's extremely thin (3/8 of an inch!!), sports a huge screen (2.5'') and snaps pix at 5MP. It also captures VGA movies at 30FPS.
    Amazon.com reviews are plentiful and gave the T7 five star ratings, I would also highly recommend it.

Hope I helped,
    llama

3. markjones05 thread starter macrumors 6502a

markjones05

4. Flying Llama macrumors 6502a

Flying Llama

It's true, it has 7MP! But don't be fooled, a camera can have 200MP and snap photos full of noise (although this isn't the case).

llama

5. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Canon SD series. Tiny cameras, good pics. You can pick up the SD400 for under $300 and it has 5megapixles and the SD500 and SD550 have 7.1 topping out at $400. You must not have looked in a while, $400 for a 7mp camera is normal now.

Here is a good place to look for cameras http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp

6. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

This is the site i used when i was searching for my camera. Great site!!

I bought my camera a while ago and it is not made anymore. It is the Canon Powershot A95. Great camera mostly becasue it does everything and was a good price. I was looking for CF, 5MP, could take extra lenses and if i wanted it to be a point and shot (mostly so my parents could use it easily). I am very happy with the camera.

I like canon camera and all the cameras we have have had (film and digital) have been canon. I would guess Nikon and Kodak are pretty good. My thought is that if a company was around and making cameras before digital then they probably know what they are doing. Hence the reason i dont like some for this reason (not to mention they always use proprietary crap, i.e. memory stick). I hate that becasue it locks you into buying Sony all the time unless you want to replace the memory sticks also. Just my thoughts

Hope that helps

7. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Look for a good focal range (F-stop)
    Look for a good quality lens
    Look for a good zoom (3x zoom! All digital! It sucks!)

I personally have a Cannon S2 IS... damn perfect. But look at the range that the lens allows you (4.0 to ~6 should be O.K. for normal stuff but you want as wide a range as possible, which means larger lens, which means higher quality, which tends to mean more space for a longer zoom, etc.)

8. Flying Llama macrumors 6502a

Flying Llama

You could always get a Nikon D70 or the Canon Digital Rebel XT, ;)

llama

9. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Go and read dpreview or dcresource for reviews of cameras that you are in your budget and meet your main criteria. You can compare their standard 'test' shots to see how they compare in studio conditions.

Then have a look at pbase.com for lots of user pics - some expert and some not - for each of your shortlist to see how they perform in the real world.

Lastly, go into the store and hold the ones on your shortlist to see how you like the feel of them in your hands (sometimes they can feel too small for your fingers) and how easy it is for you to operate the menus.

10. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    i've been looking at the Panasonic Fx9 (dpreview link), 6mp, ultra compact.. best price i've seen is $360~ shipped, feels pretty good in my hands and small enough to carry around in my pocket.