Digital Camera Help - £250 / $350 budget

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by kerb, Dec 7, 2004.

1. kerb macrumors regular

Jul 26, 2004
    Lancashire UK
    Basically what's the best bang for buck camera in this price range?

Good built in flash (for nightclubs/gigs)
    decent optics
    ease of use

probably won't get all but something satisfying most would be good.

thanks for any help and pointers
  2. puterfreak555 macrumors newbie

Aug 4, 2003
    Canon SD200 or SD300

Canon's SD200 and SD300 are brand new and are very popular. I work at Best Buy and we have been selling a ton of these cameras. Not only are they extremely cool, small, easy, fun, but create terrific images from the new Digic II processor (same as a 20D and 1D/1Ds Mark II). I think it would be perfect. A 2" screen and very low profile makes it perfect for your use.
  3. kerb thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 26, 2004
    Lancashire UK

just spent 30 mins looking for one in Britain only to realise that Canon has (like many companys) different names for products in different countries.

Here they are the Ixus 30 and 40. The 40 looks very cool and is just about where my budget lies. I'm going to go to the camera shop today and try one.
  4. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

Apr 21, 2003
    washington dc
    i am partial to the nikons, i prefer the nikon interface to that of the cannon. their coolpix line is an excellent camera for someone on a budget.

also think about NOS (new old stock), might allow you to get something nicer that is a year old or so.
  5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    I would do some reading over at steves digicams before deciding. a great site. I also would get as much optical zoom as you can because there is never enough.
  6. KSource macrumors member

Oct 31, 2004
    I got a Sony Cybershot P150 (7.2 MP) to replace my old Sony Cybershot P51 (2.1 MP) . Got it for around $350 on sale with the Sony rebate that ended Dec. 4th I think. It's smaller than my old one (about 2/3 of the size). I have yet to really compare pictures, but I expect the MP difference to show a major difference. You'll probably be able to get it for $350 sooner or later? Downside to the camera is the expensive memory sticks. Luckily I had an old 64mb that I got for my 2.1 and the 32mb that comes with the 7.2.
  7. Coca-Cola macrumors 6502

Dec 10, 2002
    Get a Canon, avoid Fuji. That is my experience. I just got a Canon A60 (older model) for cheap and it is of much better quality as far as interface and construction. My even older fuji was very bad build quality, but I do think it took better looking photo's. Wierd. Very poor build quality however. My canon is a solid little sucker, and is a champ with battery power usage. A champ! See if you can get an Canon A95. You will be happy. Sure, it may look a little clunky, but it is easy to hold, use, and is a solid camera.
  8. Smileyguy macrumors 6502

Nov 29, 2004
    I've got a Canon Powershot S1 IS, I'm not sure if its been updated recently, but its a superb camera. I would definitley recommend it, or a newer version if there is one.

It's got a 10x optical zoom, and 3.2 MP. If you don't want the ultra zoom go for something with less of a zoom and more megapixels, which you'll get for the same price.

You can see some of my photos on the 'Feedback on my album please' threas on the photos board. It's a great camera, and you'll surprise yourself at the pictures you'll take.
  9. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

May 28, 2004
    In a false sense of reality...My Mind!
    Get A Canon

I would get a Canon. I second that about Fuji(stay away) I had a Nikon Coolpix and then bought a Canon A75(3.2mp) which takes much better pictures. My other opt. for the Canon include an extra lens to make a 5.5x optical zoom and an underwater housing(will use myself in Feb. on a shark dive--will post pics. if I make it back) :D
    Any hoo overall pictures seem very good detail, color, and not any red eye as of yet.
    I think I got mine for $210 and a free 128mb CF, but you could get most 4mp for $250-275 on sale. What ever you get just save money for as much memory as you can 256 or 512. And of course batteries :rolleyes: hope this helps