Digital Camera Help

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Computer_Phreak, Jun 16, 2003.

1. Computer_Phreak macrumors 6502

Hey..

I'm looking to get a digital camera, and, having not had one before, need some help.

I'm looking to spend around $150~ish for the camera. It will be used to take pictures of family, and also for me to take pictures of animals and nature stuff in my yard.

Ive found two cameras that I like:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?sku=K23-3128 P
    and
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?sku=T24-3112 p

Questions:
    -Do megapixels really matter that much, and if so, what for?
    -Ive heard that digital zoom is no good, and I should stick with optical zoom, is this true?

Thanks

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Re: Digital Camera Help

I have a 1.3 megapixel Olympus. It is ok. Whenever I want to enlarge a photo or print it out it really sucks. The best purpose for the 1.3 is online viewing, anything else just doesn't work. I would recommend at least 3 mgp. 4 is even better. I got the camera 2.5 years ago and at that time it was considered pretty good, things have changed a lot since then though.

I have a digital zoom on my Canon ZR 40 mini DV and it is ok up to about half the limit, I think it is 16x. Optical zoom is almost always better and digital zoom is ok but not great.

Before you buy, go to some comparison sites, cnet would be a good start. See what everybody recommends and go from there.

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I have a 3.2 megapixel camera, it prints fine up to about 8x10. Megapixels do matter, but in your price range you won't be able to go very high.

Digital zoom is ok, but as you zoom in you lose any benefit from high megapixels, and if you don't have many to start with, you won't likely be happy with the quality. I don't ever use the digital zoom on my camera, mostly because I can accomplish the same thing by enlarging the photo on my computer.

As a side note, photographing wildlife is not the digital camera's strong suit. The lens on consumer digicams is not enough magnification to show most critters, unless you are going out to photograph lions and tigers and bears (oh my!) from up close, you will want to use a 200mm lens at least. This is best accomplished with a decent SLR 35mm. Some digicams can do this, but not any in your price range.

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

for everyday shooting a 2 megapixel is fine and you can turn it down to 1 for internet use. If you need 8x10 photo's or larger then get more. I have a fuji 2600 and its great. Go to Steve's digicams site for fantastic reviews and please look at the fuji 2650 my son loves his and it is the same as mine except newer memory. Also they both have a 3x optical zoom and 2.5 digital zoom. Been Great camera's with lots of use and no problems.

5. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

most importanly... get the cam with the highest digital zoom!!!!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

get 3 mp if you plan to print, as others have said, other than that, 2 is fine.

6. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

something you should really check before buying is what format memory it uses. personally i don't trust anything that isn't smartmedia of compact flash...even though i just bought a sony dsc-f717 5 mp -- sony only uses memory stick. memory stick is definately higher up on my list than secure digital (which both cameras you point to use).

from personal experience, don't get anything that uses secure digital. cards are hard to find and not widely accepted enough. be warned, their cost is a reflection of their quality.

7. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

Re: Digital Camera Help

and to answer your two questions:

MegaPixels
    for a point and shoot camera that you aren't looking for professional quality, i recommend 2-3 megapixel. (though bigger IS better...he he he)

optical vs. digital zoom
    optical zoom is better than digital zoom. optical is more precise because it moves the lenses certain distances apart. digital zoom however just takes what it sees and pretends that it is closer, ending up with a harder to take shot because a slight movement of the camera during the shot will make for a VERY blurry picture examples

8. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

you'd never use digital zoom. digital zoom is the same as taking an image in photoshop that's 640 x 480, and going into 200%. or scaling it up to 1280x960... it's not actually a "zoom"

the fact that they ever list it on any camera as a feature is a joke. especially pro/prosumer cams...

9. maraczc macrumors member

2 MP should be fine if you can keep the camera steady and shoot in good light. They tend to get pretty pixally when there is not enough light on an area. But yeah get a 2 MP. You won't likely find 3 MP for $150 or so. The price gap between 2 and 3 is alot more than the price gap between 1 and 2.