digital camera lenses

Discussion in 'Community' started by gwuMACaddict, Dec 30, 2004.

1. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

pretty sure i'm going to buy a nikon d-70 soon. i know all the old lenses from my f4 will work, but will the ratios be all screwed up? i've heard that the mm numbers on my old slr will not correspond to the new digital. is this a problem? i know alot of you are photogs, so i figured i'd ask

2. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

In the d70 the image sensor is smaller than a 35mm frame, so when you take pictures with the d70, you only get a certain part of the image that is created by the lens. With the d70 I believe that this happens by a factor of 1.5, meaning that you will multiply all of the current focal lengths of your lenses by 1.5 to get their 35mm equivalent when shooting with the d70, so a 50mm lens shot on a 35mm film camera would be equivalent to a 75mm lens on the d70. There are a selection of full-frame image sensor cameras available, but most of them are over $5000 US. You will only run into trouble if you have a lot of semi-wide angle lenses, because they will be turned into sort of boring middle range length by the d70. It's actually really nice if you are shooting on a long telephoto lens because, for example, when I'm shooting sports with my Canon Digital Rebel and a 300mm lens, it corresponds to a 480mm lens, because of the crop factor of 1.6. :)

3. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Are you getting the lens kit? The Nikor 17-70mm lens included is a pretty good lens from what I've heard.

4. gwuMACaddict thread starter macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i wasnt planning on it, i have half a dozen lenses that i was going to use from my old slr. but sounds like my wide angles wont be of much use... guess i'll have to think about that option

5. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

They'll be fine for standard photography, but to get a good wide angle, you have to get lenses that are down around 10-12mm, which equates to 15-18mm.

6. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

7. gwuMACaddict thread starter macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

oh- i know the lenses will work, they're from my old f4 and n90s... i was just wondering about how the mm aspect would change. thanks :D

8. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

You multiply the focal length by 1.5 to get what the effective focal length is on the D70. So if the widest lens you have is a 28mm the effective focal length will be 42mm. If you have no ultra wide lenses (like 17 to 20) then I would say getting the kit lens is worth it.

Be sure to purchase it by tomorrow though. The $100 mail-in rebate expires on 12/31. I have not heard anything about an extension of the rebates at work yet (work for a local dealer).

9. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Tell me which lenses you have. Some older Nikon F lenses will WORK on the d70, but they won't meter, which can be problematic.

The 18-70 kit lens is a fantastic bargain. Much better than the kit "lens" included with the drebel (which feels like a soft breeze would break it apart) and has some pretty advanced features, like SWM (silent focusing, which is FAST too) and ED elements.

That said, I used some older MF lenses on the D100 and they rocked, they just wouldn't meter, so I had to guesswork the exposure.

Also, some older AF lenses that aren't top quality exhibit some resolution issues and chromatic abberations, etc. on a digital, which seems to be more finicky than film....

[edit] 5300? How do you like your S2? The s3 has me way tempted for studio work (d100 and d2h in the field) and it's priced right... whereas the D2x is gonna be a weeeebit expensive. Post some photos in a thread if you get a chance. Would love to see what you're doing with the S2....

10. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

You might consider snapping up a remaining D2H at $1999. Nikon just dropped the price on that one.

11. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Hehe. Been there. Done that. ;)

Have the D2h sitting on my desk right next to me. Stellar camera, really. BUt i'm planning on using it for sports and event photos and having a D2x or something that does a slightly higher MP for weddings and portraits.

And keepin my D100 as my backup. ;)

BTW, the D2h really is incredibly stunning, and that + any of nikon's flashes is a great combo.

12. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Just thought I would pass on the "good news". :)

13. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Definitely. If anyone is looking into an SLR, i think the D2h is a STRONG candidate. Sure, it's a bt more expensive than the D70, 20d, et. al, but it's a pro body and gives some incredible image quality. I'll do some shooting tonite, and hopefully post some pics tomorrow. :D

m

14. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

If you pull out a D2h, I'm sure all the people around you just put their cameras away :D And I though the S2 was big, the D2h is a very masculine camera :D

By the way, I made another thread in the Picture Gallery with S2 pics.