Digital Camera + Photoshop

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by agdickinson, Nov 2, 2003.

1. agdickinson macrumors member

Jun 17, 2003
    Marston Green, West Midlands, UK
    EDITED: (3rd Nov 2003 - purchased Photoshop)

I'm in the process of looking at a Digital Camera (SLR vs. Compact).

I currently got a 2MP Canon camera but am looking at getting a Digital SLR (I used to have a Canon SLR EOS1000N).

What is the Canon EOS 10D in relation to the 300D. I'm thinking of selling my sanity to the finance company... :( .
    I tend to drop things so the EOS 10D with the metal body will be more robust than the EOS 300D (Rebel in the USA).

Does anyone have a 10D? What is it like, I had a play in the store and it felt lovely (um in a photographic sense).....

Does anyone have any personal shots from either of these cameras so I can see for myself.

2. justswitched macrumors newbie

Oct 8, 2003
    id also like to know about that myself

im trying to decide between the nikon and the new sony 8 mp camera.
  3. Kid Red macrumors 65816

Dec 14, 2001
  4. iShater macrumors 604

Aug 13, 2002
    I used to get info about my digitcam before I got it. The forums there have shots taken in almost all the cameras reviewed.
  5. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

Apr 21, 2003
    washington dc
    i need to start off by saying that i have always been a nikon user and am more than a little biased. i have a coolpix4500 that i adore- its compact, takes great pictures, and with it's swivel design you can be all extra sneaky with it- great at parties. i shoot for my universities yearbook and get to play with their nikon digital slr's. they work great as well. i do have to admit that the cannon digital slr is a little faster, takes slightly better photos. nikon is working on new camera to come out later in the year. i prefer the nikon interface.
  6. tazo macrumors 68040

Apr 6, 2003
    Pacific Northwest, Seattle, WA actually
    Basically the 10D is heavier and made of a nicer [magnesium] material, while the 300D is made from a hardened but still nice looking, silver-colored plastic.

The 10D and the 300D have the same CMOS chip [about], and both shoot at 6.3 megapixels.

Both cameras have access to over 50 of Canon's EF line of lenses.

The 300d comes with an 18-55 lens in the $999 USD package, while the 10D starts at 1499 and does not include a lense of any sort.

Neither models come equipped with a memory card of any size; both take compact flash memory.

I would go with the 300D simply because it has about 90% of the 10D's features, and with that extra 500 dollars you'll save in comparison to the 10D, you can buy a decent add-on lense, or a lot of nice memory :)
  7. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2003
    Home of Al-Qaida
    Both DigiSLRs support Microdrive. How else can you store that much picture w/ CF card alone.

Definitely check out DPReview's review on the Digital Rebel/EOS 300D. They have a nice chart comparing the features of the 300D and 10D. The latter does have a lot more Customizables if you're picky.
  8. agdickinson thread starter macrumors member

Jun 17, 2003
    Marston Green, West Midlands, UK
    1gb Compact Flash

I bought a 1Gb compact flash a while ago which is just getting excited (um really :rolleyes: ) about getting used with a 6MP camera.

Then again I'm just sad :rolleyes: :)

So 300D with a lenses vs. 10D without a one for around £400 more or £600 with a Sigma lense.... mmm ;) the 300D sort of looks rather nice I think :)

Well if I'm not made redundant (let go over in USA) tomorrow I will buy one ( sadly really :( company is either being sold or plug-pulled )

9. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    I have a Canon Elan7 and I will probably pick up a 10D or the next revision of the 10D. Given that the price difference between the 300D and 10D is significant and that they share so many of the same features - I can't see that the 10D can remain on the market for much longer and remain competitive.

I'm looking at February for the revision (1 year from the 10Ds debut this year).