Digital camera reccomendations?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by believo, Mar 22, 2005.

1. believo macrumors regular

believo

I'm planning to buy a digital camera. Does anyone have any reccomendations? My budget is about $600 (I can go slightly higher) and it would be nice if it were a digital SLR but it doesn't have to be. The only real requirements are that it needs to be 5mp or more and it has to be manual and automatic.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Related to this, I've been thinking recently about getting a used original model Digital Rebel. Adorama has them for $560 with an 18-55 lens. What I'm looking for out of it, mostly, is the ability to get a lens with a bigger zoom, manual focusing, and maybe some better night shooting than my Powershot S50... I'm also trying to learn how to use my S50 more effectively, though. :rolleyes:

The Digital Rebel uses CF cards, which may be a turn-off, although I already use them with my other Canon, so it doesn't bother me. Also they're available in the largest sizes.

What do people think? Before I got the S50, I used to use a 35mm SLR, so I'm just used to having more knobs available to tweak.... :D

3. believo thread starter macrumors regular

believo

anonther question that I had was about compact flash cards, etc. I have a REALLY old digital camera right now and it uses compact flash but I don't know much about any other storage technonolgy... what are some of the other common storage technologies used? Is compact flash the most common? Is it the best choice?

4. MentalFabric macrumors 6502

MentalFabric

I preferred smartmedia in the past, but these days it seems like most things use CF and it seems that most will for the next few years at least, so if that's what governs 'best' then I'd say it is :)

5. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i have a kodak easyshare 6490 (cost me $500 when i got it). it used SecureDigital cards. i love this camera. i know you are looking for one that is more professional, so sorry if this doesn't help

6. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I've never used that one.

I have used CF cards in a Canon A60, and now I use a SD card in a Canon IXUS 40/SD300(?).

The one difference is size. CF cards are cheaper per MB of storage, but they're larger. Because they're cheap and have high storage, CF is usually used in more expensive cameras. However, if you have a small point and shoot like my IXUS 40, the SD cards are better because they're smaller in size, and I think they may be faster.

8. believo thread starter macrumors regular

believo

thanks for the reccomendation...

I've used a 35mm slr for a long time, but i don't know much about digital photography. Can anyone explain some of the differences between digital SLRs and Non SLRs like the one that duff-man suggested?

thanks

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I recommend anything from the Nikon range, the Canon G6 is a great camera and both offer manual exposure settings, not manual focus though. If you don't care about that then don't go dslr. If you go dslr I recommend the d70 used if you can find it that way it sticks around your budget or the drebel. I prefer Nikon over canon based on years of use, how the cameras feel, and just how their dials are placed. You have to go to the store and hold the cameras and see which are more comfortable to you. I am not saying Canon is bad, but my experience with them had been on the pro side only. Nikon is what I use at home.

10. believo thread starter macrumors regular

believo

I've used a canon rebel for the past 6 years pretty heavily... so I was thinking of getting this: http://www2.butterflyphoto.com/shop/product.aspx?ref=pricegrabber&sku=REBELD This seems to be a good camera with decent reviews... anyone know anything about it? It's pretty important that it functions like a the 35mm SLR that I use now (manual focus, etc.) so I think DSLR would be the way to go. I've looked at the D70's but I've had a hard time finding a cheaper new one.

also.. I have regular SLR lense for my current rebel.. is it possible to use them with the DSLR rebel?

11. rasp macrumors regular

rasp

Since you've been shooting a rebel for 6 years, you pretty much know what slr shooting is all about, I've had a powershot g3 and now a digital rebel. There is a night and day difference between a G series and slr, no matter whay anyone says. The both take fantastic shots, but the approach is different.

Other than being lazy about carrying the rebel around, it's a great camera. Any lenses you have for the rebel will work on a DR. I got a chance to shoot a d70 last summer, and it seems like a nice camera. I don't really like the nikon layout, but that's a personal preference thing.

12. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

I own a D70, and we have the original Digital Rebel at work. The glass on the D70 is really nice. But if you're already invested into the Canon kit, it probably doesn't make sense to switch to Nikon.

Be warned - if you're used to a film SLR, you likely won't be satisfied with even a good non-SLR digital camera. My first digital camera was a Canon S30 (which at the time was one of the better cameras of that type). It takes great pictures, but as a former film SLR user I always found myself noticing what it couldn't do - or at least couldn't do easily. So last summer the S30 became my wife's camera, and I plunked down the money for the D70. I had to swallow hard to spend the extra cash, but I've been much happier with it; and because of that I find myself using it a lot more frequently than I did the S30.

13. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

For a budget, the Canon A95 is a great value right now. And at $799 the DRebel is a super value in a DSLR.

14. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

By most accounts SD and CF are the top two formats for cards. xD used by Olympus and Fuji on some models is a "close" third.

It appears from my perspective in working in the industry, that SD maybe the long term "survivor" in media formats.

15. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Actually the SD card is gaining big time. I think it is the Canon 1Dmk2 that uses both the CVF and SD card. And most "consumer" digicams are using the SD format.

16. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I would wait a few months or so for the G6 replacement. With the Digic II chip, the likes of the SD300 through 500 have shown great performance. And we can only hope that the G7 will equal that.

17. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

I can recommend the Canon S70 with a highspeed Gig CF card

18. rasp macrumors regular

rasp

The reason the 1dmk2 uses sd as well is that authorities can authenticate the image as having come from your camera unaltered. Secure Digital cards have some sort of encryption bit on them.

As for consumer cams using sd... it's small and fairly common now, used in many pda's too.

19. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I work for a camera dealer, and we finally had a Dreb XT for display and play. I am a 10D user, and I was left with positive impressions. The focus on what most call the 350D, seems faster than the 10D. And for those of us that want a quiet cvamera, may have found it in the 350D.

20. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Seeing the speed of the Digic II chip, I can only wish as a S30 owner that we see a S65/75 with the speed of the SD200-500 series.

21. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Does the G6 let you adjust focus manually with a ring on the lens stack (as opposed to doing it with push buttons that run the motorized adjustment), or does any other camera in the non-SLR upper end do this? I'm leaning towards DSLR, but the G6 does seem like a very nice camera....

22. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Not sure about the G6, but the Pro-1 has a motorized zoom, that is operated by the lens ring. But like any consumer level camera, it does have a small amount of lens destortion at extreme zoom, but only on the far outside of the pictures. over all, I have been happy, and have taken over 3000 pictures with it.

It is 8.0 Megapixel and is in your price range. The nice thing about this camera over the G6 is the 7x zoom. It also lets you use normal Hot Shoe flash systems (like the G6), you can also buy Macro lenses, Macro Flash ring, multiple aftermarket lenses, and it even comes with a lens hood. It is not an SLR, but a good comprimize. If you are into self shots, it comes with a remote control that will operate the timer, or playback of video's .

I ended up buying it last minute, as I was going to go Digital Rebel, but I needed Video functions for my work, that which the SLR series cameras from Cannon did not have at the time.

I had a Powershot A80 prior to the Pro1, and that camera was amazing for the price and size. I fell in love with the tilt / rotating screen.

I take 1000's of digital photos every couple months. And the Cannon consumer level is quite good! I would up with Apple Computer, as one of my top corporations, as far as equipment quality, virsitility, and power of features.

For good quality reviews on Digital cameras go here
    http://www.dpreview.com

Their review of the Pro1
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canonpro1/

23. rkphoto macrumors regular

rkphoto

I have to recommend the Canon Powershot Pro 1. It's 8 Megapaixels, has a 28-200 OPTICAL zoom with further digital zoom if you need it, and is just a great camera. Takes insanely sharp images and is basically all the camera you need in one small package. Great for travel since you don't have to lug a big slr body and extra lenses etc. I get around 640 pics on my 2 GB CF card and I can print as large as I like from that resolution (I've printed up to 20"x 30" and it's still sharp as a tack). It has automatic and manual modes. Here's a link:

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=144&modelid=9823&sa=true

Good Luck,
    RK

24. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Good advice Jessica. Believo & mkrishnan, for your money, a digital rebel will be a nice starting point. That said, if you're looking for something that will get you better low light focusing, and has the option to manually or auto-focus right on the lens. For most canon's and nikon's you have to flip a swicth. With the d70 & kit lens, since it's AF-S, you can use auto and manual focus simultaneously. When i do photojournalistic gigs, I start with manually focusing and let AF finish the job. On my D2h which I use with the 18-70 kit lens, I get 99% of the photos wonderfully in focus. It's really a great combo, and having used the D70 the same way, i can honestly say it's a great choice.

You guys both sound like advanced photographers, and I think that while image quality between the Drebel and D70 are VERY similar, you'll like the D70's fast AF, it's better low light AF and the aforementioned ability to switch between MF and AF on the fly with the kit lens, which is infinitely better than the kit lens that comes with the DRebel.

My friend had a DRebel and his images were pretty soft compared to my D100 (at the time). When he bought a better Canon lens, the 24-70, he found his results stepped up.

He then traded the Rebel for a D70 and kit lens, in order to use some of my lenses, and he was stunned at how good his kit lens photos looked compared to his old rebel shots with kit lens. The D70 can be had NEW for $999 after rebate, and given the upgrade that the lens is, it's a much better bang for the buck-- plus it'll be a camera you can grow into, rather than the rebel, who's missing features could possibly hold either one of you back.

Purely on image quality? With good canon glass, it's a toss up. But given that buy that combo is gonna put you WAY above your ~$700 price range, I'd say to save the extra $$ and grab a D70 with kit. It's tops in its range.

Again, the new Rebel, while I haven't tried it out, still comes with the crappy kit lens. So even then, you're not really getting the full oomph of your image. Regardless of which DSLR you choose, remember-- your lens is 90% of the image.

You can use a 1d MK II with a crappy $100 canon lens and your image quality will suffer greatly. Put L glass on it, and it'll work great. Same with the D2x, D2h, D70 and D100. The only difference? In your range, only one DSLR comes with an advanced lens-- the D70.

m

25. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers