Digital Camera Recommendations

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by skubish, Oct 29, 2005.

1. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

I am looking to buy a digital SLR camera. I am mainly looking at either the Minolta Maxxum 7D or Canon Digital Rebel XT.

I have seen/used the 7D which is very nice camera but I don't see where the added features are to make it cost 2X the Rebel. (base only) In fact the Rebel is 8MP and the 7D is only 6MP. Features-wise they similar to have similar settings/specs. Lenses don't concern me much because I will probably get Tamron lenses anyway.

Anyone have experiences with either of these cameras?

Anyone have any problems with the cameras and a Mac?

2. javiercr macrumors 6502

javiercr

Why Tamron lenses? with some exceptions they are crap

What about the Nikon d70s?

3. skubish thread starter macrumors 68030

skubish

I am not stuck on Tamron lenses (I hardly think they are crap either). I should have said I am not interested in the OEM lenses that usually come as a kit with the body.

4. Aliquis macrumors regular

Aliquis

He's right. Mostly Tam lenses are not very good. Also, I'm not sure how into Photography you are, but I hope this helps. Minolta and Canon are in totally different classes. What you should be trying to compare or decide, (also, former poster is correct) is Nikon vs. Canon. Minolta are far lower cameras for the money you'd pay for a Canon or Nikon.

I'm not sure what total flexible price point you are looking at either, but here's what it boils down to. (believe me after doing copious amounts of research, and also heavy advise from many friends who work or rather are immersed in the photography industry with more media and brands than you've probably even heard of.)

K, - Canon vs. Nikon.

The long and short of it, and this is highly debateable, is that Canon's components (digital processors) are slightly better right now than Nikon. Canons Digic processor line is superb right now. The sharpness, clarity and detail, and color balance is almost second to none. It's really that good. Nikon's is extremely good as well however. I'd say you may not even be able to tell the difference. (canon's would come out just a tad better).

Now, Nikon's lenses are simply amazing. They are very very good, supreme quality glass, etc. And their bodies are going to be just a bit more durable than Canon's

That's the long and short of it. Both cameras rock - Canon's will produce awesome images just a tiny bit better than Nikon, but Nikon's lenses are extremely awesome and their bodies are more durable.

The Nikon D70 bytheway is one flipping amazing camera for the money. And you can usually bag a really good deal off eBay if you know what you're looking for. My friend scored a Nikon D-70 with a 1GB Flash Card, and Two nice Lenses, all brand new sealed in box for about 1300 which was a really good deal for the time.

Good luck and let me know if you need any more help.