Digital Camera....

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by dave1234, May 11, 2003.

1. dave1234 macrumors regular

I plan to buy a digital camera. I was wondering what are some good ones for an amatuer, I am looking to spend no more than $300 on it.

2. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

i'm undecided with 2 options ..... Canon Powershot A70 and FujiFilm FinePix 3800. The first is about 290 $ and second 350 $ (j&r).. they are very different, and for most options the latter fits more to my needs. could be i could suggest something else if you had any specific needs or wishes and not only amateur and < 300 $ as criteria.

i need 3 mpi or better, and as much optical zoom i can get, and with memory can't get over 400 $ ... :rolleyes:

3. dave1234 thread starter macrumors regular

4. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

It's really hard to beat Canon when it comes to ease of use and quality of photos for the size of the CCD. There CCDs come the closes to accurate color of all the amature cameras I have played with. They also have a fairly fast processor for the money letting you get shots off fairly quickly. Also I have a Canon S230 and it lets me take video up to 640x480. That's a higher resolution then your standard video camera has. I really recommend the Canon Elph series there hard to beat for ease of use, portability (think really small), durability, and quality.

5. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

What MacBandit said. I've only bought Canon photo and image products in the past decade, from printer, to scanner, to digicam, and most recently minidv. The quality to value ratio is tops. And the ease of use is just unbeatable. Most of the time, you don't even have to read the manual; it's that easy.

I'd definitely get the PowerShot A70. But you can always read some in depth reviews from Steve's Digicam and Digital Photography Review for more info.

Unless you like throwing money away, steer away from these one time gadgets. If you read closely, the specs stat that it uses software to interpolute the image from the original 2.1 MP to 3.1 MP. The orginal resolution is 640x480. And it has only 16MB of built-in RAM. Didn't say anything about adding memory btw. There's also no LCD view finder. It's basically a plastic toy camera for little kids.