Digital Camera

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Romulan, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Romulan macrumors member

OK…so I'm looking for a digital camera under $400. Does anyone have any recommendations (all appreciated). I've been looking at the Canon SD-10…if anyone has any experience with it and could tell me a little about their opinion of it that would be great. Thanks. :)

2. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

I really like the Canon Powershot S1IS... Here's a review:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/s1is.html

Check out Steve's Digicam website for reviews on any camera you're interested in. It helped me a great deal. I found that many of the 6 megapixel cameras didn't hold a candle to the Powershot S1IS (only 3.2, but superior opticals). In addition it has a 10x optical zoom with image stabilization!

It's only $350 something at newegg... Here:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=30-120-119&depa=0

3. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

A little more information might be helpful. Especially whether you are looking for a camera that's just designed for point-and-shoot or one with manual settings.

4. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

5. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I recommend the Canon A80. I have the A-70, which is basically the same, except for being 3.2MP vs 4.0MP and a rotating LCD screen on the 80.

I am impressed with mine, and a friend who was visiting, after using my camera for a couple of days, went and bought an A80. FWIW...

There is also, evidently an A75...don't know about that model...

6. vkapoormd macrumors member

I say go for any of the Canons (A80, Elph S410, powershot G3); they all take excellent pictures, excellent color reproduction, etc. I would stay away from the pentax Optio S4 (i had one temporarily and the auto focus was terrible- it really took poor indoor pictures- the best thing about it is the size, but that's not a good tradeoff in my opinion; check out the very mediocre review on cnet.com and then compare it to the review that the canon s410 and canon g3 got). As you can see from the other posts, most advocate Canon. Let me know if you have any other questions. :cool:

7. kilpajr macrumors regular

I have the Canon S400. I'm not sure what is different about the S410 that is available now, I think they are almost exactly the same. Anyway, I love it! The pictures are great (search for some reviews) and it is small enough to put in your pocket. Also, since it uses CF instead of SD, you can get a bigger memory card for the same amount of money. The only thing I don't like about mine is the redeye. I believe this is caused, or at least enhanced, by the relatively short distance between the lens and the flash. However, you will probably get this in any camera you get and it isn't a big deal to take it out. Good luck searching and let us know what you decide.

8. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Check out www.dpreview.com for good reviews on digital cameras while your at it ;)

9. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

I used both the Canon S400 and S500 and they are both GREAT. I sold of teh S400 because i wanted better video res. This camera is great i and recomend it very much.

10. yinyang macrumors regular

sony dsc-w1 fits into this price range...

sony dsc-w1

and it's got 5.1 megapixel and 2.5" lcd screen. very easy to use, comes in silver or black. check around for better prices though :)

11. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i recommend cameras using CF cards... they are the most common and cheapest flash memory media...

i have canon s230 myself and couldn't be happier.

oh, but if you own other gadgets that uses non-CF cards, then that should also be taken into consideration. for example, many mp3 players can use SD cards for expansion, sony tvs and vaio laptops come with memory stick reader, etc.

12. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

DPReview.com has been very slow on pumping out new digicam reviews, check out Steves-Digicams.com. Another vote for Canon. I'm planning on upgrading to an A95 from the A20.