Digital cameras and OS X software

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by funkenbooty, Nov 8, 2003.

1. funkenbooty macrumors newbie

Oct 16, 2003
    Need advice for buying a mega pixel digital camera. What should I take into consideration since I will be using it with a
    G4 PowerBook. I want to know what are the best ones to buy that come with Mac OS X compatible software? Any good sites that I should check? Thanks:D
  2. Balin64 macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2002
    In a Mauve Dream
    Check Out Olympus

Olympus are superb cameras with great optics: and they ALL work with Image Capure/iPhoto out of the box.
  3. skanker macrumors newbie

Sep 14, 2003
    I just bought a Sony DSC-P8 camera with 3.2 megapixels. The camera performs incredible well so far with its small size, splendid image quality, good usability and the best movie record mode I have eve seen. And the camera works with iPhoto right out of the box... no additional software required.
  4. funkenbooty thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 16, 2003
    HOW do you transfer the pictures from the camera to computer? I want to avoid having to buy a card reader if possible.
  5. junior macrumors 6502a

Mar 25, 2003

Most cameras come with USB cables.
  6. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

May 24, 2003
    Phoenix AZ USA
    Which Digital Camera?

How good a photographer are you?
    How much camera do you need?
    How much can you afford?

Read Dec2003 issue of MacAddict.
    p. 33 describes 3 excellent Single Lens Reflex (SLR) cameras (what you see is what you get) in the $1,999 range (NO lens included, interchangability of lenses is a big drawing point), but on
    p. 21 the new Canon Rebel 6.3 megapixal SLR with an excellent zoom Lens is ONLY $999 (save a thousand and get a great camera) and is the BEST BUY right now for the money.
    p. 22 describes lots of point&shoot (idiot) cameras ranging from $300 to $500, which are ok if you're not really into photography, just snapshots. The top 4 are my favorites for quality and functionality. Shop online for best deal on SLR cameras, or check out what COSTCO, Ultimate Electronics, and Fry's Electronics have to offer.

I've got a digital box (Kodak) but am eager to move up to SLR and the Canon would be hard to beat. Regardless of which one you pick, plug a digital camera into your Mac and iPhoto will pop up and take care of downloading your pictures easily. Editing is good with Adobe Elements and great with Photoshop CS.
    Then all you need is a photo quality Canon or Epson (and others) printer with individual ink tanks (Check out Macworld Dec2003 pages 4 & 5).
    Enjoy. :D

PHOTOGRAPHY Forum - for more depth in discussions, go to:
  7. Chappers macrumors 68020

Aug 12, 2003
    At home

Look at
    But before you buy, check out a few reviews of any camera you might decide to buy. I have a Fuji finepix S302 which has a great optical zoom (6X) and a macro facility. I took some great shots of the recent lunar eclipse because it has some manual features. You may not need these things but reviews can help a great deal, you don't want to pay good money for features you will never need.

Good luck

8. railthinner macrumors regular

Jul 1, 2002
    My favorite review sites:

I just bought a Canon A80 for personal use. At work I use a Canon G3 and a Fuji s2 Pro. I actually prefer Canon's SW over iphoto when importing -- photo stitching is cool too.

There's a lot to take into consideration. Are you taking snapshots and want a camera that will fit in your pocket, or do you need a camera to work with studio strobes and make 11x13 prints?
  9. rueyeet macrumors 65816

Jun 10, 2003
    I checked out Apple's compatibility list and then went to ZDnet and such review sites to choose between the cameras available to me under my company's reward points program. I find it better to do research than ask on a forum for recommendations, because no one knows your needs better than you.

I ended up with the Canon PowerShot A60, which is enough resolution for web, email, and occasional small prints, and feature overkill for a clueless point-and-shoot amateur like myself. And I can use the leftover CF cards from my pre-iPod MP3 player.