Digital Cameras

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by mmmdreg, Apr 19, 2002.

1. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

Hi all...I'm looking to buy a digital camera soon for <AU$1250. Whats the best camera to get for that price?

-Dreg-

2. mmmdreg thread starter macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

Um...are there any Japanese people here or anything? I want a canon powershot s40 and was wondering if they're like a lot cheaper in Japan or some other country.

3. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

im not neccesarily Japanese... but I've lived here all my life.. that counts right?

um.. about the canon powershot s40... just wait a few minutes...

irmongoose

4. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

here it is.. at one of the cheapest places i could find... ¥69,800. That is precisly 991.760 AUD. Yeah so thats under your budget.

hope this helps!

irmongoose

5. TiMacLover macrumors 6502

6. mmmdreg thread starter macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

That helped heaps! Where d'you find that price? I might be able to get my Japanese sources to get one for me. BTW, I am half japanese.

7. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

cool! I got that price from a very reliable discount store: BicCamera... pretty famous among the Japanese.. so I think your "sources" should know that place...

irmongoose

8. mmmdreg thread starter macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

it actually seems to be 69, 800 in the japan apple store (online) as well..

9. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

He he... you said two words and wrote one. :)

I have an Agfa ePhoto CL30 that you may be interested in. I'd be willing to negotiate a good price for a fellow Aussie. I think we could arrange something under your budget...

10. mmmdreg thread starter macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

Thanx for the offer, but I'll just stick with a Canon from Japan thanks..

11. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

I was going to post a picture of the camera... I hacked it together the other night. It's got bits missing and parts hanging out of it.

But then I realised... how do you take a photo of your only camera?

:D

Are you sure you don't want it? You could have it for, ooh, say, $899? No? ;)

12. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I was considering getting a digital camera not too long ago. Then I saw how the MP value and prices are... I did some research and ended up getting an Epson Perfection Photo 2450 scanner (FireWire and USB interfaces) that can scan normal images as well as negatives/transparencies. With a res of 2400x4800 dpi, no digital camera out there comes close. Epecially for the price of $399 (US). I also have a good film camera that I wanted to continue using (easier, and cheaper, to change film, then try and get enough storage media). I can also do true B&W photos with the film camera where most digital ones don't handle that too well.

Just an alternative to consider in your search for image perfection. :D

13. resm macrumors 6502

digital Cameras

mmmdreg

before you make any decision you should check out all major brands of digital Cameras.

I have used my Fuji FinePix 4900 Zoom for almost 2 yrs now and I have not seen any other brand that can give you the same picture quality.

Both Zoom and Macro settings give fantastic pictures and I would again buy the same brand when it comes to still cameras.

I just came back from Australia and I saw Canon has a very good prize for it's video camcorders (cheaper then Singapore) that also can take still pics.
    But if you want a still camera only, I recomend Fuji.

14. TyleRomeo macrumors 6502a

check out the Sony Mavica CD400. 4 Megapizel, $3 blank mini CD-RW 156MB disks and its only $900. the best camera for under a $1000.

15. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Check the speeds of the cameras. As in, how many shots a second can they take, and at what resolution. Compare features before buying, and get a camera that is best for your needs.

Personally, I want more dpi then a digital camera can provide. Plus I need to take true B&W pictures (not sepia tones) and there is not a digital camera out there that fits my parameters (at least not under $1000). I picked up the scanner for $400, and it is more then a one trick pony. It can scan up to 8.5x11.7 refelective, and up to 4x9 trans. Top that off with 2400x4800 dpi (count those mega-pixels :D ) scanning resolution (maximum optical, not through software). Not a digital camera can come close for the money. Besides, I have a sweet film camera, and can shoot film to I go blue in the face faster and without a laptop to dump images to.

Again, do your research, compare all the features, and get what fills your needs best and within your budget.

16. Choppaface macrumors 65816

if you have photoshop, not only can you convert your color pix to B&W, but using the channel mixer you can actually change how each color channel effects the overall picture (i.e., increasing the red channel makes it look like you shot the B+W photo w/ a red filter)

so you can get good B+W results from any digital camera

17. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I'd much rather use B&W film. I have some 25 speed as well as 100 and 3200 speed films. If you can find a digital camera that produces the equivalent of a 2400x4800 dpi image (not total image size, but dpi) for $400, I'd love to see it. Besides, my film camera can take shots faster then any digital camera that is under $1000+.

You can also get much more use out of a scanner then a digital camera. Plus the scanner is BOTH USB and FireWire.

18. Choppaface macrumors 65816

ya i know, i would probably choose scala in my F5 as apposed to half an hour in photoshop using something from my D1x, but I'm just saying you can get great B+W results using PS and a digicam....

assuming this person already has decent film camera, ya a scanner would be great

19. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

You also assume that the person has PhotoShop, or an application that will do the same. Considering how much it would cost for someone starting off, picking up Photoshop along with a decent (not to the same level as I get from the scanner) is going to run about $2000. The scanner comes with image import and editing software, and still only runs $400.

20. mmmdreg thread starter macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

I do have a scanner and use The GIMP for anything I really need to do...of course it's not photoshop, but it's not too far off...and its free...my scanners nothing superdooper but it's good enough for my use...so a digital camera would be fine for me as well...I'm not a pro guy you know..