Digital Clip from an Encrypted DVD

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by h0e0h, Jan 30, 2005.

1. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

Hey guys, i've got a video due on wednesday and i need to get a clip from chapter 11 of Napoleon Dynamite. That DVD is encrypted and I'd like to find out a way to get that chapter off of the DVD for free. Any suggestions... please let me know... in a hurry!

2. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

man, a wednesday deadline....cutting it close, are ya?
    And napoleon dynamite is a fine choice. Rather, a flippin sweet one.
    Here's your solution. Download Handbrake, and rip the entire DVD as an .mp4 file (choose a high file size for best quality... i recommend 1.5GB). Then, in quicktime pro or fcp or fce or whatever editing program you may use, cut it down to chapter eleven. and voila! Encryption gone, video on time.

Time: 5 hours.

Price: $0.00.

Napoleon dynamite on your hard drive: Priceless.

3. h0e0h thread starter macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

you, my friend, are the proverbial lifesaver. Attention other readers... this man rolls hardcore style... thank you so much, and yes, in a bind, i do my best work under heavy pressure.

4. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

5. h0e0h thread starter macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

My only concern is that it doesn't have to be anything in depth so im going to use iMovie. But, i don't have the new iLife '05 suite, so im using the iMovie bundled with iLife '04 (not HD) and i've never edited an MPEG-4 file. Do you think that i'll be able to open it up and cut that clip out w/o having that new iMovie?

6. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

it's fine, i did a school project with a mp4 file from my digicam (think it was mp4) and a .ppt.mov and despite a few hassles (i made a thread a while back) it worked fine so you shouldn't have any problems

7. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

UGHHHH....Friggin IDIOT

just kidding.

So here's the problem...i just tried to import an .mp4 into imovie and it said that i couldn't import it because after converting to DV, it would be greater than 2gb and iMovie can't deal with files greater than 2gb...lame. But it did recommend using quicktime pro to chop it into segments to import. Do you have QT pro or another editing app?

8. h0e0h thread starter macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

i have FCP HD, but im not really up to speed on it, i got it as a gift but i mean, hopefully i could figure out how to import it to FCP then cut the part that i want, save it and open it in iMovie

"there are all kinds of gangs around this school"

9. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

To do something like this in FCP is just as easy and straightforward as it is in iMovie. Open a new project and go to File>import. then locate the mp4 file, and click choose or whatever. then, the movie will appear in your library, and you can drag it to your open sequence (the timeline at the bottom). Then, you can literally drag the start and finish of the clip to the spots you want, and audio correspondingly. Write back if you've got troubles. (email me at ianj@h30films.net)

10. h0e0h thread starter macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

quicktime pro

hey man, if you're out there tonight reading, lemme know how i can cut that clip down using quicktime pro. I tried to import the file into FCP and it would let me, kept giving me some kind of annoying error. Help if you're there!

EDIT: I have found my answer and just wanted to edit this post instead of replying so i wouldn't just bump it up... thanks to all who helped, especially pdpfilms!

11. Milan macrumors member

Cutting down that clip using QuickTime Pro should be quite easy. Under the bar which indicates the current position there are two little triangles. You can grab and move them to change the selection. Once you selected the section you want to extract use Copy and Paste to put it into a new player. Then save it.

12. h0e0h thread starter macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

13. h0e0h thread starter macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

Almost done

The only thing that i need to complete my project is the final jeopardy theme in an audio form compatible with iMovie, and an audio clip of "Tell him what he's won Johnny". HELP... i need it TONIGHT!

14. Milan macrumors member

There is a command to extract particular tracks form a movie. I think it´s in the edit menu. Then you can select your desired part, paste it into a new player and export it to your favorite audio format.

15. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

"EDIT: I have found my answer and just wanted to edit this post instead of replying so i wouldn't just bump it up... thanks to all who helped, especially pdpfilms!"

h0e0h, so what was the answer? I've used Handbrake to extract MPEG-4 from DVDs that I recorded on my set top DVD recorder and tried to bring them into FCP. Even when I first open the MPEG and resave it as a QuickTime, I get an error from FCP that it's an unknown file type or something like that.

16. h0e0h thread starter macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

well, im not sure about your situation, but i used quicktime pro to cut out the part that i needed and pasting it into a new player, then i saved that player as the file that i needed and imported the cutout into iMovie via the import feature. Im not sure what was up w/ FCP, but my only assumption was that you can't import anything in that is bigger than 2 gigs.

I was just going to let everyone that has been reading this know that the video was a success. Well, except for the fact that i had my miniDV camera set on 12bit audio instead of 16bit and the audio didn't line up with the video at the end, but oh well, it was supposed to be humorous and an asian friend of mine had a speaking role in it, and it messed up during his part, so it looked like one of those old Japaneese movies... but thanks for all your help... it was hilarious...

17. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

Since I'm in a thread full of Video Guru's and fellow Napoleon Dynamite fans at that... I have a quick question....

Is there's an app. similar to 'Audio HiJack" but for Video? I need to capture a few video streams from different websites for a project. Any Idea's?

Thanks in advance.

OH and by the way, I leave you with this entertaining link.

SWEET!

~e